Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new guy here looking for advice on the best way to remove cosmo from a stock as well as the metal parts. picked up a chilean m95 and it's soaked in cosmo. any advice would be appreciated.
thanks, J

·
Copper Bullet member
1,906 Posts
First off welcome to GunBoards. Disassemble the rifle and use mineral spirts to get the excess cosmo off of the stock and action. Wrap the stock in some paper towels and place it in a black trash bag and lay it out it the sun. Keep checking it about every hour and wipe off what has bled out from within the stock. If the temp in your area gets above 75 during the day you can also place it it your attic for the same effect.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
Another option versus the attic (which can be a bit of a hassle) would be to place the wrapped gun and trash bag on the dash of your vehicle that is in the sun. The paper towel/black trash bag technique is called a cosmo cooker. I've heard of people even using their ovens or dish washers but I've always felt that was a bit extreme. The dash of the car works well. We all know how warm a car can get after it has been standing in the sun for a while, even in the northern latitudes...good luck !

·
Silver Bullet member
34,818 Posts
Cleaning techniques are like a certain part of human anatomy--everybody has one. Here is what I have done..

For wood:

For a very light cleaning--heated Windex applied with an old towel, thats it.
For a medium cleaning--Dow "Scrubbing Bubbles" (don't recall rinsing)
For a medium-heavy Cleaning--Orange Blast (rinse optional but recommended)
(these require a rinse with hot tap water then left to dry for a few days)
For a heavy cleaning (removes oil finish)--Murphy's Oil Soap--straight, applied with a nylon brush
For a very heavy cleaning (removes everything)--GoJo Orange pumice hand cleaner, slather it on, srcub it with a brush

Small things go in my car on a hot day, bigger things go in my backyard (need to try the trash bag technique, I use bare wood with an alunimum foil reflector in a box and periodically wipe it down). I degreased a stock once by holding them over candles, and another using a garage propane heater--I would NOT recommend either of those techniques since its a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

You can always throw stuff in the dishwasher, but that might piss off your SO.

For metal, I use either Orange Blast or MPro7 (the latter is VERY expensive, but is the best thing out there)

My cleaning is also optimized for life in a small rowhouse, when you have neighbors and smells travel, mineral oil is a bad idea.

·
Registered
184 Posts
For metal parts the best there is (and cheapest) use a pot of boiling water. Lay the metal on news paper in the backyard and pour away. Two big pots should do it! Let cool then a light coat of oil.

R,
Beck

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
You can always throw stuff in the dishwasher, but that might piss off your SO.
And may turn your stock into a furry, splintery mess. Water raises the grain and a good soak will really wreck some woods. In fact I'd do any water contact real fast and dirty and dry it off ASAP. Unavoidable in some cleaning so keep it quick.

BTW just did a Francotte-Martini stock with Orange Blast. One shot and steel wool took off 150 years of Katmandu yak grease and brick dust after other solvents didn't work real well. Wiped off with a wet towel then dry and am letting it sit a few days to really dry well before doing more repair work.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,818 Posts
BTW just did a Francotte-Martini stock with Orange Blast. One shot and steel wool took off 150 years of Katmandu yak grease and brick dust after other solvents didn't work real well. Wiped off with a wet towel then dry and am letting it sit a few days to really dry well before doing more repair work.
Okay, did you spray it on and let it soak or what? Steel wood scares me, but I can scrounge up a ScotchBrite(TM) pad for this.

·
Registered
950 Posts
My .02 is use plain old sudsy ammonia 50% in water to emulsify grease, wipe on liberally (hate that word) flood the wood and/or metal, scrub with wet rags or soft scotchbrite. Wipe dry and set in front of a fan to air dry; repeat as necessary. Ammonia is cheaper than many other solvents and works amazingly well on grease/oil/wax to quickly remove finishes. Flood the stock with one end in a bucket scrub with wet rags with a fresh mixture and dry with clean rags...... the old grease melts quickly and the ammonia smell dissapates quickly.

·
Diamond Member
539 Posts
Being lazy. . . .

. . . . I use the solar method with a twist and its environmentally sound.
I have a long box filled with plain, unsented clay kitty litter (aka Speedy Dri). Stock in the box - fill with litter - set out in the sun - I shake the box periodically - does a fine job with oily stocks.
For dirty and oily I have used Simple Green - just wiping it clean with a course towel or a fine scotch brite type pad.
No water ever. :tisk:

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
Wood in a black plastic garbage bag in the sun stuffed with paper towels.

For removing cosmoline from the metal the best I have found is Eezox. I have taken a few Enfields from the wrap and it only tales a few tablespoons of Eezox, a few paper towels and some q-tips and the rifle is spotless, plus it's treated with Eezox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts