Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was hoping to get some help from the pros. I was cleaning out my grandfather's closet and found a rifle. After a little research it appears it is a Arisaka 99, manufatured in Izawa Jyuko, 4th series, and has all matching numbers. Oh the mum is ground. The wood is in beautiful shape and it has a metal butt plate.

Here are the markings:
73XX

Does anyone know of a value or anymore info on this rifle?

Thank you in advance,
Marc

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
You have an izawa manufactured rifle of the 4th series. Izawa only made 10,000 of these to assist nagoya arsenal in its production of the 4th series. Nagoya made, we assume, 10,001-99999, the rest of the series, but not necessarily concurrently. Izawa went on to produce approx 22,000 rifles of the 9th series, again under contract to nagoya. Pics would go a long way as to ascertain value, as it largely depends on condition, completeness and wether the numbers match or not. These tend to bring a mild premium over comparable rifles.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Sorry to tell you this, but the stock has been sanded and refinished. This usually kills collectibility. For a rifle like this if I did want to buy one with a sanded stock the most I would pay is 130 or 140.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Id say 130-140 depending on who wants it. Sanded stocks are something that alot of collectors tend to avoid. Personally I dont buy any sanded stock rifles unless it was something thats super rare (like a 12th series or emergency use type 99). Its going to be hard to sell and you probably wont get a whole lot for it.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
I think on virtue of it being a 4th izawa, you might be able to get $175 in its given condition, if matching. The parts of the bolt are numbered and they should match the last 3 digits of the serial number. It looks to ba a good candidate for a restoration, a relatively common nagoya stock and some TLC would render some individual a worth while rifle.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Id say $175-225 price wise as a WAG,maybe more if you found the right market/buyers but Id guess around there.thats a matching S-4 Izawa ,not some common nagoya or kokura. If your finding matching Izzys at $130-140 I need to shop where you do.even mismatched common guns sell higher than that usually.In my sell off I had a 9th series howa,some "helpful" soul emailed me that "with the blemished stock,I might give $125" I thanked him for his "input" and let the next party talk me down to $325..just wait for the right buyer and you can do fine on it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Guys, Josh said HE would pay $140, we all know he is young and broke; well I'm old and broke too.

I'd pay $175 if matching.

Interestingly most all the Izawas I have and see have had the stocks sanded and refinished; I'm still looking for a unmolested one.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I know a fellow with a whole rack of them(matching),including a sequential pair I belive and all have nasty washed out looking stocks.Im leaning towards nontypical procurment (cottage industry) possibly on at least some IZAWA production wood,when large numbers of certain items all have a similar 'feature" a theory delovpes that "hey! that might not be a modification...". bears more discussion,maybe around 2 am on the 28th/29 at the brain storming /study group session.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
Interestingly most all the Izawas I have and see have had the stocks sanded and refinished; I'm still looking for a unmolested one.
Really? Guess I'm lucky to have 4 (two 4ths and two 9ths) with original finish stocks, matching numbers and three of them have untouched mums :)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Really? Guess I'm lucky to have 4 (two 4ths and two 9ths) with original finish stocks, matching numbers and three of them have untouched mums :)
You 'da lucky man.

Put up some picts.

Dave,
I'd like your theory to be true, but these are just bubba and sandpaper; way too slick for cottage work, JMHO.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Luck has nothing to do with it! JMHO

All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$!;)

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Money trumps luck most everytime, JMHO; and I wish I had more of it(money that is)!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
Money trumps luck most everytime, JMHO; and I wish I had more of it(money that is)!
Well, I've gone to shows with a wad of cash & came home with it. Also, I've gone to shows broke & there is always something I would have bought.
I think luck does have a lot to do with it. In more than one regard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts