Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was directed here and told you guys were the ones in the know about this particular subject, so hopefully you can help.
Little background info first - I bought all the firearms in an estate this summer. The deceased (who passed away about 10 years ago, but his wife only passed on recently) was a medic that served with the Marines in the South Pacific in WWII. According to his son, his father happened into an abandoned Japanese fox hole, and found this:

Here's a close-up of the writing/stitching on the case:

One source tells me it's for a T-38, another for a MG. So, which is it, or is it neither? Any idea on a value?

thanks

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
Looks like a T-38 rifle cleaning kit to me. Has a couple of "extra" hockey stick tools. The shorter one looks like the one that goes on a T-44 cav. pouch. Nice item!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
For an item like this I'd recommend Gunbroker's.Com. Just post some really good & clear photos & see what happens! This site has a 15 minute rule so buyers can't get sniped (or bush wacked, as I call it). This lets you get the most $$ possible for your item.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
Hmmm, let's see Garfield = cat = (AKA) *****. Or am I missing something? ;)
Anyway, this fella is trying to get a value on this cleaning kit. It's been a while since I've seen one for sale & I'd guess one like this would go for $175 - $200

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Sorry CAmutt, think you are low, value is over three bills at least. Your estimated price is from the early 90s.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,415 Posts
I think $250-300, condition is alittle rougher than average (maybe I am spoiled) and it appears to mostly 6.5 stuff, 7.7 seems to bring more. The small "hockeystick" does look like the one for the cavalry ammo pouch. The 2 rod extensions are for the 6.5, and the jag appears to be 6.5 also, if it threads onto the rods it deffinetly is. 7.7 accessories use different threads. The larger "hockeysticks" are usually one per kit, nice to have 2, do they have small slot in the top end? It is hard to tell but the brush doesn't look large enough, they should look way oversize. Again it should thread onto the rod extension. The wood piece is a bore guide that fits in place of the bolt, I do not know if they are 6.5 or 7.7 specific.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,415 Posts
The big difference is in the length. Each one of theses is to be screwed onto the end of the type 38 cleaing rod (rifle or carbine) so that the rod is a useable length to clean entire bore. If you drop them into the type 44 butt trap they stick out the end.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about the shorter "hockey stick". And the rod extensions are longer than the T-44 rod sections.
So you think my apraisal too low? - meybe so, it's been a while since I've seen one for sale.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The larger "hockeysticks" are usually one per kit, nice to have 2, do they have small slot in the top end? It is hard to tell but the brush doesn't look large enough, they should look way oversize. Again it should thread onto the rod extension.
Both the "hockeysticks" have the slot at one end, and both the jag and brush thread onto the rod.

What exactly was the purpose of the "hockeysticks"?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,415 Posts
well... if the brush fits... It is probably very worn out. I am not sure what the hockey stick specifically was intended to do, but probably for probing the deep dark crevices of the rifle.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The hockey stick was the tool used for cleaning the cartridge chamber. You put a piece of cloth over the curved end and scraped in and around the chamber area.
I don't agree. The cloth was wrapped around the rod, the tool was inserted into the chamber from the rear and the curved end enabled a person to turn the tool in the chamber with his pingers. Think about it; how far into the chamber will the curved end go?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,183 Posts
Yep, I initially thought that too. When I read the manual describing the tool, (the official name of the tool is a "chamber cleaning tool"), apparently the "hook" part was to be used to scrape out crud in the rear of chamber area, ie bolt head area of the closed action, obviously the narrow end could be used to clean the forward area of the chamber as you decribe. T'was a "two-in-one" deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.