Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old but nice leather holster with several brass snaps one of with ends inside the holster. The trouble is that the brass is truning green and some of the green is getting on to the revolver. What is the best way to clean the brass without damaging the leather of the holster? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
PapaRon

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Best I could think of is saddlesoap. Wash out the areas of the leather with saddlesoap, and rub some Brasso on the brass to clean it up.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
The "green stuff" is verdigris.
I'd recommend brushing it off with a stiff toothbrush, or even brushing gently with a brass brush until it's gone.

To shine the brass, as above Brass-O works well, but keep it off the leather.
There is nothing much you can do to prevent the brass from forming new verdigris, that's caused by the chemicals in the leather from tanning.

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can try and mask off the leather after cleaning the brass buttons and seal them with some spray sealant like lacquer.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
All brass and copper cleaning is essentially rubbing off the corrosion. Once you do that put a drop of lacquer on the clean brass to keep the air off it. Not real effective but much better than nothing. There are some much more permanent corrosion resistant coatings used on some expensive door hardware but even that isn't forever - Got a new free lockset under "lifetime finish warranty" for my front door after a few years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts