Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i picked up my mosin yesterday at the store and its coated with this cosmoline junk. I stripped the bolt and wiped most of it off, but after reading online a bit it appears that the best way to get rid of it all is to leave the thing in the sun all day or bake it. I live near Los Angeles CA so it wont be a problem really leaving it in the sun to get hot. Is this really the best way to get rid of it? Also what will i need to do other than grab a rifle cleaning kit / gun oil to get it ready to fire? A whole lot of my buddies at work are eagerly waiting for this thing to be serviceable ^_^

·
Platinum Bullet member
275 Posts
I live in Florida so the sun is my method of choice. I disassemble the rifle, wrap the components in paper towels and lay on the dashboard of my car. Comoline will run out and then I wipe it off. Repeat until it no longer oozes out. Be careful as the parts will burn you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You will probably want to take the whole gun apart (separate barrel from stock etc)because the cosmo gets into places that you cannot ordinarily get to. Set it outside in a black trash bag or put it in the oven on low heat. Cosmo starts to melt between 130-150 degrees Fahranheit if I remember correctly.

Most likely your Mosin will suffer from "sticky bolt syndrome" in which the bolt becomes VERY difficult to open after a few rounds due to hardened cosmo in the chamber. The easiest way to clean it out is to place the barrel in the bathtub with hot water and use a .410 shotgun brush to clean the chamber.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,814 Posts
so i picked up my mosin yesterday at the store and its coated with this cosmoline junk. I stripped the bolt and wiped most of it off, but after reading online a bit it appears that the best way to get rid of it all is to leave the thing in the sun all day or bake it. I live near Los Angeles CA so it wont be a problem really leaving it in the sun to get hot. Is this really the best way to get rid of it? Also what will i need to do other than grab a rifle cleaning kit / gun oil to get it ready to fire? A whole lot of my buddies at work are eagerly waiting for this thing to be serviceable ^_^
The cosmoline coming out of the wood is more of a distraction than a reason for not taking the ol' girl out to stretch her legs a bit. You want to be sure to clean the bolt and receiver good before attempting to fire the rifle. The sticky bolt syndrome is prevalent on many 91/30's but easy to rectify with some conscientious cleaning but again, your buddies don't have to wait because of a sticky bolt. Just give it a good cleaning...cosmoline is still coming out of my stocks years after the fact. I actually kind of like it when it comes out of the wood a bit after heating it up at the range because it cleans up the wood nicely as I wipe it off...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Years ago a gunsmith told me to try G96brand complete gun treatment. It is a 3 in one product cleans,lubricates and protects. My results with this product have always been great. Just spray it on and what cosmoline doesn't melt away wipes out fairly easily. It also cleans the woodwork and leaves most surfaces looking new. I usually find it at gunshows but it is also available online. Make sure to get the triple action gun treatment as G96 manufactures other products.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good stuff. got the bolt apart and wiped it down, baking in the sun right now. now just to order some bullets online (if i can... LA doesnt let them get shipped here) and head out soonish. any recomendations for standard cleaning kits? I'm used to handling and firing guns but my father always took care of the cleaning bit so im a n00b to proper ownership habits.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
No it will not. That is if we're talkin' about the rod under the barrel of the rifle. The original Soviet cleaning kit called for protecting the muzzle crown with the bore protector, and using flax "hemp" fibers on the jag with alkali/ lye solution to scrub the bore. Use a modern cleaning kit and a rod long enough to introduce the jag and cloth patches via the breech end. A single piece stainless steel rod [.270] or .30-.45 cal. carbon fiber rod will do nicely. You'll want to get some Hoppe's #9 solvent [cheapest by the quart...] and some cotton flannel patches. Good luck getting your 91/30 zeroed.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,588 Posts
+1 for making sure the bolt and chamber are completely free of cosmoline to prevent sticky bolt syndrome, particularly important if you are planning to use laquered milsurp ammo.
ukrifleman
1944 Izzy PU
1945 Izzy M44

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok put an order on ebay for a cleaning kit. kudos for keeping it period specific even if its the wrong country. if i dont get a price i like ill just pick up a nice kit in store and stuff. i keep walking over and playing with it... cant wait to get some ammo and run down to the range ^_^ ammo will be whatever i can get cheapest that the range will allow hah. might have to do reloads... aparantly they are banning the online orders of ammo in california soon. blah.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
or i could DRIVE to the range and carry even more =P
anyway, got a kit and some hoppers solvent and oil. is somewhat clean now. will work on it more after its got a few rounds. (hopefully this week) but i wouldnt count on it hehe.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
also pics!
if any experts could tell me or point me towards more information about this via serial numbers, would be nice to know if it could have killed some Nazis.
serial is ye2455, and everything matches but the butt-plate.
its izhevsk 1939 and i guess the extra triangles are refinish stamps?
there are numbers 54 and 67 in diamonds on the bolt
i know my camera is lousy. sorry in advance for that.
anyway, where do i fit in amongst the mosin owners here?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Germans, Finns, Hungarians, Romanians, Slovaks, Spaniards, Italians, Ukrainians, Poles, Chechens, Tatars, Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians ... Really no telling how it was used, when, or against whom. But as izzytok46 writes, it was made the year of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, when the USSR took over Bessarabia/Moldova, Eastern Poland, the Baltic States, and made a move on Finland, and then from 22 June 1941 until 8 May 1945, so there is the possibility.

Wartime stock there.

You got some kind of interesting cartridge pouches there. They don't look like the normal postwar naugahyde/ pigskin Soviet pouches. Wartime?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pictures are from when i first unboxed it and didnt have the cosmoline off and i wasnt about to put that crap on the carpet so you cant see the rest of the accessories. i have the russian AND *German* as the guy at store claimed they were, pouches. Dunno what to say as they have no markings on them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.