Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me to clean up her grandfather's rifle that she says he brought back from Iwo Jima. I know war stories and all, but I am inclined to bite on this one - mainly because she isn't selling it and doesn't really have any knowledge of firearms - it also looks like a bring back to me. It was missing a couple of small parts and looked like it had spent most of the last forty years in the back of a closet. That said, it cleaned up nice. For those interested, it's a 25th Series Kokura Type 99. I'm not sure I got the sling on correctly, and I didn't attempt to clean it. It's full of reddish dust.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like an early C tip carbine sling.... Nice full Mum.....
Anywhere on the web I might look for details on various Japanese slings? Not something I have thought much about before with old military rifles (mainly because this is the first one through my hands with what looks to be an intact sling from the time it was picked up).

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
It is an M1 carbine sling and it is very common on Japanese rifles. Hey, GIs has a pile of them. I have several with carbine slings, it is not a big deal.

Japanese slings are expensive and usually not so pretty. A bring back with a carbine sling is not bad IMO, although I would prefer an original Japanese sling.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is an M1 carbine sling and it is very common on Japanese rifles. Hey, GIs has a pile of them. I have several with carbine slings, it is not a big deal.

Japanese slings are expensive and usually not so pretty. A bring back with a carbine sling is not bad IMO, although I would prefer an original Japanese sling.
Interesting. Yes, I just looked up some photos and that's exactly what it is. Thanks for the information, I probably wouldn't have figured that out for a while. On the bright side, now I don't need to worry about putting it on correctly :)

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
A friend asked me to clean up her grandfather's rifle that she says he brought back from Iwo Jima. I know war stories and all, but I am inclined to bite on this one - mainly because she isn't selling it and doesn't really have any knowledge of firearms - it also looks like a bring back to me. It was missing a couple of small parts and looked like it had spent most of the last forty years in the back of a closet. That said, it cleaned up nice. For those interested, it's a 25th Series Kokura Type 99. I'm not sure I got the sling on correctly, and I didn't attempt to clean it. It's full of reddish dust.

View attachment 3809682 View attachment 3809683 View attachment 3809684 View attachment 3809686 View attachment 3809687 View attachment 3809688
I wanted to post a better image of the MUM and it is a M1 Carbine Sling.

kaydee
Dwight

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Also the 25th started production in 1945. I don't think it could make it to Iwo on time.
That is what I thought the wood looks like it has been refinished.
I don't think the stock has been refinished. Unless of course me washing it with a dilution of Murphy's Oil Soap and using a little bit of orange oil counts... (which I recognize on a gun forum, may be like admitting I have murdered my children, but here we are).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also the 25th started production in 1945. I don't think it could make it to Iwo on time.
That's interesting. I was looking around for a start/stop timeline for the different series, and besides seeing that the 25th was the last, I couldn't find one. It might be one of those things where the family knew he was at Iwo Jima and knew that he brought back a rifle and put two and two together in a way that ultimately wasn't the accurate story.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's interesting. I was looking around for a start/stop timeline for the different series, and besides seeing that the 25th was the last, I couldn't find one. It might be one of those things where the family knew he was at Iwo Jima and knew that he brought back a rifle and put two and two together in a way that ultimately wasn't the accurate story.
Rectangle Gadget Font Display device Technology

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.