Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Gunboard members that show up there look us up. We are going to have a couple tables with some nice stuff. Tell me (im the tall ugly guy wearing the hat) that your a member of gunboards and get 10% off whatever we have at the show. Thanks alot,
Chris

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It was pitiful.

The promoter robbed us all.

The show was held in a big stinky horse barn with about three lights and no heat or power.

The middle was dirt covered by tarps that everyone tripped on.

It was too dark to see anything very well.

Many people left after the first day.

Dick threatened everyone that if they didn't come back they wouldn't get their tables at the next show.

I suspect he is going to be making J&J very happy at the Greenville show this coming month. (Greenvile is just outside of Grand Rapids on 131 north.)

I have heard more than a few of Dick's usual sellers say this is it. They are done with him.

If the Grand rapids show that he didn't bother to promote wasn't enough, this show was an insult to injury and few people are going to come back for more of this kind of abuse.

He has been out for the quick and easy money lately. (at the dealers and participants expense)

The price to pay for having events and not promoting them or for renting a horse stall for $500 for the entire weekend and calling it a show is less dealers attending the show.

He should be sending all of the dealers that bought tables a refund and an apology.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First I believe his name is Doug not Dick?? Second, I thought the show was pretty good, we had a decent show anyway. The attendance was decent for the first one held at that venue I thought. We had a couple tables against the far wall, as far from overhead lights as you could get and witrh one $10 clip on lamp felt it was more then sufficient. As far as stinky, it is the livestock barn, but it is big, you had tons of room between tables, the flooring wasnt that bad. It did smell like a barn, better then BO, farts, and bad breath in the civic building where there is no air circulation. There was no heat Saturday, was a little colder but not bad hell I had a light long sleeved T-shirt on and never even got a goosebump. Think your being a little critical, but maybe you had a bad show so i guess if you dint sell enough to pay for your tables ya might be po'd

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
No,

I was going to buy a table but decided not to after the screwing we got at the un-promoted Grand Rapids show.

(and yes, my tables at G.R. were still paid for and I didn't do bad selling to other dealers but I saw very few people who were not dealers.)

I was there to pick up eight repair jobs and stayed long enough to talk to several of the dealers that I work with.

If you think that show was good then you are a very optimistic thinker or have been at very few shows.

I personally hope you are optimistic.

I am glad you did well.

Most of what I saw change hands amounts to money for me and other smith types, but nobody else.

All in all an extremely poor show.

One of my customers is one of the "D's" personal friends and he was very upset that he didn't receive some warning about this place.

Many of the others have learned to care less for Doug and his door hawking ways.

I am often annoyed when I see door hawking but then again if he isn't doing it someone else will. (Top Hat?)

You may be young and healthy but many of the rest of the regulars are not.

Many complained about allergies, terrible lighting, and the cold dampness.

It isn't good for codgers or our firearms.

If anyone out there came and thought this was a normal venue, it was far from normal and it is usually much better for both sides of the table at regular shows.

I personally thought it would have had a better turn out if it wasn't scheduled a week after the annual sportsman's club show, even if it was the worst facility I have seen used for a show since the old sportsman club tent shows. (which were free to members)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went Sunday and knew something was up before i even turned into the parking lot! I've never seen a gun show with open windows you could peek into and decide if you want to attend the show before you pay admission!

These days i don't get to excited about Doug's shows, and frankly i'd really never want to get a table at them. I deal at the Midland Sportsman's Club show once a year, the rest of the time i'm just a customer.

Seems like these days Doug just wants the admission money and dealers table fee's and doesn't give a hoot about if the show is good or not. Those of us who've been attending his shows for years know you can find everything there.....including jerky, power tools, dolls, purses, and general trash. His shows are hit or miss, sometimes great...often times not.

I would have been mad if i had been a dealer at the Clare/Harrison show, the crowd on Sunday was very sparse when i was there, some dealers were actualy sleeping! However i did score a nice US M1917 rifle and a funky shotgun for the den. As a customer i can't complain about the show to loud...wished i would have had more cash!

I did trip over the tarp in the middle......twice:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts