Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my wife's work today an one of her crew found a hollow lead cannon ball. Before it was fired it must have been about 5in dia with a 3/8 to 1/2 in wall. Has anyone ever seen or heard about something like this? It did have an iron or steel rod going into the side and stoped at about the center of the case. All I can think it was for was to hold it to the sabbot.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Any pictures? Lead wont work for large artillery projectiles because of the deformation, but it was used as a driving band or sabot on rifled projectiles in the civil war (copper or brass is used today) and for fuze plugs. The South had a serious lead shortage to the extent of using iron fuze plugs instead of lead.

See http://www.civilwarartillery.com/ for an extensive serious of pictures and descriptions of projectiles of all types from the civil war.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a large round hollow lead ball found in an old range next to the impact area. I could be be from before or afther the civil war. It was fired and hit something as it is flatened on on side and the other side had started to collapse in on itself. I was thinking that it might have been an early type of KE round as it would be less likely to bounce off a steel target like a steel ball would.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts