Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
3,947 Posts
great photos. I like the one that shows the young guys pulling target sleds in the pit, any one remember doing it and posting MAGGIES DRAWS to show where the hits were at 300 yards? red a hit and white a miss.I did it in 1960 at FT. DIX. if you down load the book that would be great.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've spent a great deal of time on a horse, and a little bit of time on skies, and I don't think the two should ever go together well.
I suppose it depends on three things: the one on the horse, the one on skis, and the horse. If all these know what they are doing and cooperate, no problem.

The Finnhorse or Finnish Universal is one of the unsung war heroes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
M-Bear, where is the reconstruction?

We need to lend a horse and re-create this photo on the same spot!
Yep, that would be fun to do. Considering the time of year, it could rise some attention. But in the case of somebody asking what a heck you guys are doing. At least, we could answer that we are heading to drinks at the Officers' Club situated right behind that knoll that can been seen in the pic.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A few Civil Guard photographs taken during the early months of the Continuation War in 1941 from sa-kuva.fi:

Civil Guard's guard guarding Alkoholiliike's (Alko Inc.), the national alcohol monopoly's, warehouse in Helsinki in July 1941. He's wearing a Battle Dress 1937 uniform donated by the Great Britain during the Winter War (No. 22227).

Civil Guard and Defence Forces' troops ready to sweep the terrain (for Soviet agents?) near Helsinki in August 1941 (No. 33841).

Long-distance runner Paavo Nurmi and some "soldier boys" from Helsinki Civil Guard District's youth division in September 1941 (No. 42572 and 42573).

·
Registered
171 Posts
A few Civil Guard photographs taken during the early months of the Continuation War in 1941 from sa-kuva.fi:

Civil Guard's guard guarding Alkoholiliike's (Alko Inc.), the national alcohol monopoly's, warehouse in Helsinki in July 1941. He's wearing a Battle Dress 1937 uniform donated by the Great Britain during the Winter War (No. 22227).

Ive always found the Finnish use of Battle dress interesting. I know most of the BD tops were recycled as either wool or as uniforms for the Civil Guard. However, with army photos from 1941 you see a large amount of guys wearing BD trousers, especially in the parade in Viipuri.

I may want to go through my photos and find more weird stuff again, however this isnt perhaps the best place to spam with original photos of random bits of Finnish soldiers being ******* with their equipment!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.