Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an m39. After posting up some pics I was told that it was not a standard run of the mill m39. Admittedly I am not up to snuff on my m39 information. I knew if I could get the correct information anywhere it would be here.
Here are some pics. If you need others to help identify please advise and I will gladly comply ..
Thanks in advance for the help.
RD

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,595 Posts
It is a fairly common 1942 Sako M39. The stock was originally a SkY or Civil Guard contract also made by Sako but the contract rifles had different markings including the cartouche on the stock. Nice rifle but not particularly rare. Wood looks like it might not be original finish but hard to tell from pics. Almost looks like it could be poly, kind of shiny. Might be pictures too. Regards, John.

·
Gold Bullet Member
4,581 Posts
Congrats--how does it shoot. M39 is not standard run of the mill

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the district number is on the bolt. its a long number proceeded by the capital letter S. you can see it in one of the pics.

i found a link yesterday that showed all the district numbers and linked to a map of where they were at. my district number was in there.
i did NOT save the link like a goof ball....

there is also the =S= symbol on the receiver.

from what I am reading and finding out...this seems to be a legit CG ???

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
A CG M39 would be marked Sk.Y on the barrel where the SAKO marking is. The S marking on the bolt is from when the bolt was used on a previous CG gun. Same goes for the receiver. The reason why you see these markings on other guns is that the Finns recycled everything. A serviceable part is just as good as the next with different markings.

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,108 Posts
I think your original confusion might be because Sako was the Civil Guard weapons shop and you recognize the symbol from m2830s etc. during the war they also made army contracts including your m39. The Sky marked M39s were in a separate contract for the CG. It is quite likely that they had access to many other CG parts when they built yours - explaining that bolt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.