Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around this time of year, I recall a particular day in a Mexican History class at the University of Houston back in early 1970s. Our professor briefly spoke about Cinco de Mayo and the Battle of Puebla that it celebrates. In this battle the Mexican army, which was greatly outnumbered by the French army, defeated the French. According to the professor, it was the only victory in battle by Mexico with a foreign army. Professor also stated the reason for the Mexican victory was the poor physical condition of the French troops. On voyage over from France, a cholera epidemic broke out among the troops, which killed many and left the rest in a pretty sorry physical condition. So, when battle fought, French really in no shape to effectively fight. Remember well, the professor laughing during his explanation of Cinco de Mayo and the circumstances of the battle. The few Hispanics in our class were some what upset with the professor's presentation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah, and the funny thing is that outside of Puebla, most Mexicans are totally oblivious to the anniversary of the battle. It is celebrated far more vigorously north of the Rio Grande than it is in Mexico. After all, any excuse for a margarita, right?

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Yeah, and the funny thing is that outside of Puebla, most Mexicans are totally oblivious to the anniversary of the battle. It is celebrated far more vigorously north of the Rio Grande than it is in Mexico. After all, any excuse for a margarita, right?
Bingo.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Brilliant Mauser-pendejo.

Actually, it is an interesting story overall. How European nations jointly invaded Mexico when they defaulted on their debt. The rest left when it was clear France was there to take over. They installed a German prince as the country's leader and brutalized the people in the ensuing war that went on during our own Civil War which France knew would distract us from kicking their sorry butts out, and then some. "One war at a time."

Alden

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Maximilian was Austrian. Supported by the "dons" of Mexico against Juarez's more popular (poorer) constituency. Maximilian was finally executed by firing squad: the poor dupe actually probably meant well and was used by Napoleon III and the Mexican fat cats.
Actually, Mexicans won in battle at Camerone (Cameron?: not sure how to spell it) where Captain Danjou and a Legion company fought for hours against over 5000 Mexicans. When 8 men were left, they had a bayonet charge but were taken alive by the Mexicans who admired their machismo. It's now the major holiday of the French Foreign Legion, or so I understand in my reading of popular history.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Maximilian was Austrian. Supported by the "dons" of Mexico against Juarez's more popular (poorer) constituency. Maximilian was finally executed by firing squad: the poor dupe actually probably meant well and was used by Napoleon III and the Mexican fat cats.
Actually, Mexicans won in battle at Camerone (Cameron?: not sure how to spell it) where Captain Danjou and a Legion company fought for hours against over 5000 Mexicans. When 8 men were left, they had a bayonet charge but were taken alive by the Mexicans who admired their machismo. It's now the major holiday of the French Foreign Legion, or so I understand in my reading of popular history.
The name you are looking for is the battle of Camarone. 1200 Mexican infantry and 800 Cavalry against 65 legionaries. Definitely one of the most famous last stands in history.

In the words of Michael Eyquen de Montaigne

"There are some defeats more triumphant than victories."

·
Registered
854 Posts
France was actually an ally of sorts with the Confederate States of America. Part of the grand plan was to use Mexico as a conduit to feed supplies to the C.S.A. At this time, the French were still miffed that the U.S.A. didn't help them against the English like they did with us. At least, that's what I heard on PBS. For the most part, I agree that it's a time to get drunk for most celebrators. I raised two Texas flags on my cubicle at work on Sinkhole duh My-oh in celebration of the victory.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,675 Posts
Austria then? It was annexed as part of Greater Germany. Yes, I know the most brilliant President says people speak Austrian but, again, he is incorrect.
Alden
There was a war (Austro-Prussian War) in 1866 (after Ferdinand Max had been scragged by the Mexicans) that set the Austrian Hapsburgs on the road to destruction - one of its effects was to cause the Austrian Empire to be conveted tot he UAustro-Hungarian Dual Monarchy in 1867. At that time, the Austrian were very much separate from Germany, though they were heavily involved in the Germanies - another of the effects of the Austro-Prussian War was to make Prussia the dominant German-speaking power (instead of Austria) and start the process for the creation of the German Empire (Zwitte Reich) by the 1870s and, ultimately, Germany as we now know it.

Maximillian should have stayed home and played wth boats (he was one of the founders of the Koenigliche und Kaiserliche Kriegsmarine, the Austrian Royal and Imperial Navy), instead of allowing himself to be conned into the Mexican adventure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.