Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are relatively inexpensive adapters that allow you to shoot .22lr from your 5.56 chambered AR. Simply replace the bolt carrier assembly and use the Ciener's mags and you can shoot .22lr the same way you would shoot 5.56. The obvious advantage is that you can train with your AR at a fraction of the cost. As ammo prices and availability get worse, these are going to be more popular. I know I don't want to dip into my "stash" any more than I have to, so I'll be relying on my Ciener's adapter alot more from now on. Plus it makes a great varmint gun for those areas where you've got neighbors that might get spooked by the sound of an AR: simply load up a sub-sonic or Aguila-type round, and blast that pesky varmint.

You can get them from Brownells and Operation Parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Have you tried any of the black dog magazines with your ciener conversion? I saw some other mags from a different company too, now if i can just remember where I saw them...:confused:

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
i'd like to hear how accurate they are at say 25 and 50 yards. never really wanted one before, i have plenty of 22 rifles and pistols for that caliber, but you are sho right about the price of ammo.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
again, what kind of group at 25 yards?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've got one of the M261 conversion kits. Does anyone know of any aftermarket mags that will work with it?
ronin - here are some. I haven't dealt with the company myself, as I'm still undecided on which 22 conversion to use. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=447715

paste from the above thread:

Ballistic Sounds Tactical Supply
2351 College Station Rd #457
Athens, GA 30605
706-614-6804 Phone
706-995-2284 Fax
www.ballisticsounds.com

Black Dog Machine Order Link

We are proud to be one of only a few Distributors for Black Dog Machine Magazines. We accept Visa/Mastercard.

* 30 round (black, clear, and smoke)
* Easy to disassemble for cleaning
* Designed to function with the Atchisson/Ciener© conversion
* HIGHLY reliable feeding in both semi-auto and full automatic
* Injection molded from high-impact polycarbonate
* Made in the USA

$25 each

Full Body AR-15/22 Ciener or M261 Mags
* 27 round (black, clear, and smoke)
* Easy to disassemble for cleaning
* Designed to function with the Atchisson/Ciener© or m261 conversion
* HIGHLY reliable feeding in both semi-auto and full automatic
* Injection molded from high-impact polycarbonate
* Made in the USA

$35 each/red]

Direct Link to Order Page

If ordering 6+, you must put "AR15FREESHIP" in the comments box to get free shipping.

The free shipping is for USPS Priority Mail. If you rather ship UPS, it will be the actual shipping charged. Do not select UPS if your order qualifies for free shipping, otherwise it will be shipped by UPS and you will be charged.

Please check local laws for magazine capacity restrictions. 30 round magazines cannot be shipped to CA, HI, MA, MD, NJ, NY or anywhere outside of the United States.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
can you even get a group shooting these things, or is it spray and pray? :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't own one of the units yet. I'm considering one as an alternative to using as much 223/5.56. There is some info on ar15.com about them. I'll see if I can find the thread that had groups based on ammo type. When I find the thread I'll post a link here. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't shot for groups yet, but offhand I was hitting an 8" diameter plate at 50 yards.

The BDM mags that resemble full sized AR mags are perfect for training, as they fit the same pouches in your rig. I haven't shot them yet, but have a buddy in the industry and another in LE, and they said they were GTG. I just waiting for mine to come in. They're very hot right now.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is the link to the thread at ar15.com mentioned earlier. http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=332226

Here is a basic breakdown from the above link:
Snake45
Post Number :: 1288
USA
Online Indicator ::

Here’s how a 1/16 DPMS upper compares with shooting an M261 conversion in both 1/12 and 1/9 barrels. Figure at left is the average of the best five of six 5-shot groups at 25 yards, benchrested and scoped.

.313 DPMS AR .22 upper Winchester Dynapoint (1 of 6)
.350 DPMS AR .22 upper CCI MiniMags (2 of 6)
.392 DPMS AR .22 upper Remington Golden Bullets (3 of 6 tie)
.392 DPMS AR .22 upper Federal Lightning (3 of 6 tie)
.414 DPMS AR .22 upper Winchester XPert (5 of 6)
.425 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel A CCI MiniMags (1 of 6)
.446 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel B Remington Golden Bullet (1 of 6)
.540 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel A Winchester Dynapoint (2 of 6)
.575 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel B Winchester Dynapoint (2 of 6)
.649 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel A Remington Golden Bullet (3 of 6)
.613 AR-15/M261/1:9 Remington Golden Bullet (1 of 6)
.660 AR-15/M261/1:9 Winchester XPert (2 of 6)
.779 AR-15/M261/1:9 Winchester Dynapoint (3 of 6)
.735 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel B Winchester XPert (3 of 6)
.785 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel B CCI MiniMags (4 of 6)
.789 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel B Federal Bulk (5 of 6)
.828 DPMS AR .22 upper Federal Bulk (6 of 6)
.848 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel A Winchester XPert (4 of 6)
.855 AR-15/M261/1:9 CCI MiniMag (4 of 6)
.917 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel A Federal Lightning (5 of 6)
1.045 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel B Federal Lightning (6 of 6)
1.072 AR-15/M261/1:12 Barrel A Federal Bulk (6 of 6)
1.673 AR-15/M261/1:9 Federal Bulk (5 of 6)
2.155 AR-15/M261/1:9 Federal Lightning (6 of 6)

As to the 60-grain Aguilas in a 1:9 barrel, almost every group I shot with them was a 4+1, that is, four fairly tight shots with one flyer. First set of figures below is the whole five-shot group, the second set is the four shots without the flyer. They functioned perfectly in my rifle, but are stinky and expensive and I don’t plan to buy any more of them.
.903 .740 .573 .354 1.152 .625
.542 .364 .236 .354 .513 .431

Falm16,
Is this the type of info that you're looking for? Hope it helps. :)

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
that's it..... seems decent enough to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hadn't checked the thread for awhile...thanks for the info Sniper69!
ronin - you're welcome. I ended up ordering a ciener kit and some of the black dog machine mags from ballisticsounds (company in previous post). They should be here Monday or Tuesday. The ciener kit and mags are in stock. The m261 mags and kits are supposed to be arriving to ballistic sounds on october 5th. I called and talked with the owner (Kyle) yesterday and he answered the questions I had, so I went ahead and placed an order. Plus with ordering 6 mags and using the free shipping code (code for ordering 6+ mags gets free shipping) my whole order is shipping for free. :cool:

From what I've been reading/hearing it seems the m261 mags from black dog machine are the only m261 mags that are more than 10 rounds. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't used mine any farther than 25 yards, but you can easily bounce a coke can around at that distance. I use mine in a Del-Ton 5.56 upper.
My kit took a little 'breaking' in, out of the first 4 or 5 mags, I had at least one FTF, or light primer strike in each mag, but now (1k rounds later) malfs of any kind are few and far between.
The Black Dog Machine mags are awesome,work 100%, and are half the price of the ciener mags.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'll definitely have to check them out. I went with the M261 for one reason...it was FREE! A buddy of mine said "Here", and tossed me one NIW. Magazines turn up every now and then, but are usually really pricey...or appear at a time when I have little disposable income. Nice to know there is an aftermarket alternative. I like the M261 for plinking in my carbine "build" (assemblage would probably be a better word). I need to tweak the gas system on it (eroded gas port) before firing 5.56 through it, so the conversion at least lets me play with it until I can get the gas issues straightened out. Haven't done any distance work with it, but the M261 is a fun little gizmo to have.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I tried out my ciener conversion on friday using the black dog machine magazines. Not one hiccup and my buddy was surprised with how well it worked. We had two liter soda bottles filled with water set up at 100 yards. I was able to consistently hit the soda bottle aimed at. :D The magazines worked flawlessly. Ammo used was the federal 22LR value packs sold at walmart.

Only complaint I have (and it isn't really a complaint) is that the conversion doesn't "pop out" as easily as I would like it to. But in defense of the conversion - it was easier to get out after putting it in after removing it and putting it back into my AR a few times (before going to the range).

·
Registered
4 Posts
but what do i know...

the diameter of a .22 lr is a bit smaller than a .223 (which is actualy .224). there fore you are not gonna set the world on fire with the accuracy of this conversion. also, if you have a nice upper and a beater upper for your evil black rifle, use the crap barrel. and clean all the shit out of it after running 1000+ .22s before you put a regular 5.56mm down the pipe. lest you plate all that gunk to the inside of your barrel with a high pressure round. have fun

·
Registered
104 Posts
the diameter of a .22 lr is a bit smaller than a .223 (which is actualy .224). there fore you are not gonna set the world on fire with the accuracy of this conversion. also, if you have a nice upper and a beater upper for your evil black rifle, use the crap barrel. and clean all the shit out of it after running 1000+ .22s before you put a regular 5.56mm down the pipe. lest you plate all that gunk to the inside of your barrel with a high pressure round. have fun
true - however minute of 2 liter bottle at 100 yards with iron sights is accurate enough for me with this conversion. :D :p :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had mine for a year. I can consistantly hit a standard claybird at 100 yards. For plinking and just having cheap fun they are plenty accurate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts