Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No mention of this model in the Mossberg/ Havlin History Book. Has a walnut stock with cheek piece and impressed checking per the Mod. 640K. Came with a Montgomery Ward 4X scope, Is drilled and tapped for a peep sight (S-330?), buck horn and bead front sight in place. Year of Manf. SN 277xxx ? Nice condition, used as chuck rifle by an elderly neighbor, accurate!

Sunvet

·
Registered
729 Posts
With Mossberg anything is possible. Usually the c after the model was an engineering change. Like different ejectors, new version firing pin, or such. Year of manufacture was after 1968 as serial numbers were no required until Jan. 1, 1968

·
Registered
747 Posts
Bought one of those last week...a very nice, quality rifle, and a keeper for me...Mossberg also made the .22 magnum as a Western Field brand, for Montgomery Ward...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got one about a year ago and I agree...it's a keeper. Now I know first hand what a "tack driver" is. I have a Westernfield 4x scope on mine.
Here's a site that discusses the models (scroll down about 3/4 and you'll find the 640's):
http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm

Plus (did you know) the Mossberg 640 was marketed under several other names:
Westernfield 822
Revelation 107
New Haven 740t
...all the same rifle!

·
Silver Bullet member
48,878 Posts
Had the 152 fold down forearm...excellent accuracy.
my first 22....if I see another I’ll,get it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Had the 152 fold down forearm...excellent accuracy.
my first 22....if I see another I’ll,get it.
I have one ... w/ the fold down forearm left to me by my Dad.
Remember shooting it when I was a young kid.
It was a treat as he always complained it used too much ammunition
He let my nephews install a scope on it and I can't find the original sight now.
A Lyman/Lyman style peep.
Would sure like to have it back
Aloha

·
Silver Bullet member
48,878 Posts
Fastest firing action I’ve every shot, used with zero problems...accuracy trained me shooting it crosman M1 BB rifle.
extractor missing ever since I owned it? ejected as a blown out case..
id like to have org. Wood fore-end, peeped...

His With your German scope priceless combination ...on squirrels....ground hog....small game in general.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Problem is we got none of that stuff here.
No small game at all except Mongoose, and they are usually in the kind of places we can't shoot.
PIA Hawaii gun laws!!!
Also have a M44B I think, gotta dig it out of the safe, given to me by a guy that was a Master Chief SEAL.
Good friend who may not be with us anymore. Doesn't answer the phone... for several years, and nobody knows.
Was his rifle when he was a kid, bubba'd with a carved stock. Kid's carving of a deer.
Will find it and post a pic. Pretty cool tho'
Aloha
Gordy

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I lied. It is an M42
Got US property on it along with what I think are British proof marks.
I cleaned it up years ago, it was pretty rough when I got it and found a magazine for it at Brownell's.
Feeds just fine.
Included a pic of the 152

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts