Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
North Bender
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
2927 Posts
Posted - 01/31/2004 : 10:43:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone but me concerns about using the standard communist cleaning rod (that we can buy for a dollar or less) in our chrome barrels? What is the hardness difference between the metals? I think you must be able to scratch the chrome using these rods but why would they be standard issue if you could?

logansdad

1693 Posts
Posted - 01/31/2004 : 10:57:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't think the Russian army was too worried about scratching the chrome in the barrels. Sidearms are usually secondary weapons in battle and see very little use, typically. Chrome is pretty hard but it might be a toss-up as to which is harder - your barrel lining or the cleaning tool. However, since I don't have a Soviet armorer here to service my Makarovs if I were to bugger up a barrel with a cleaning tool, I only use nylon coated modern cleaning rods on my guns.

So, yes, I am concerned about the possibility of the cleaning rod marring the barrel finish. The only thing I evr use my cleaning tool for is lifting the sear spring over the slide release lever during disassembly and replacing during assembly.

Shooter of 5.7x28, .17HMR, .177, .22LR, 7.62x25, .32ACP, .380ACP, .38Spec, .357Mag, .357Sig, .38Super, 9x18, 9x19, .40S&W, .400CorBon, 10mm, .41Mag, .44Spec, .44Mag, .45ACP, .45Colt, 5.45x39, 5.56x45, 7.5x55, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .30-06, .303Brit, 12ga, 20ga

North Bender

USA
2927 Posts
Posted - 01/31/2004 : 11:17:51 PM

Good reply, thanks. I'm through with that concern - nylon from here on out.

MakarovaNik
Gunboards Super Premium Member

USA
306 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 08:19:19 AM

I use a plastic rod and a brass brush. Lately I've been using a plastic rod and a plastic brush. I'd rather not chance any damage.

Wanted: Bargain price excellent condition Ruskie MilSurp. Email me if you've got one.

Cruiser
Silver Bullet Club

USA
569 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 11:25:46 AM

I was of the understanding that the Makarovs were not Chrome lined?

jaguar
Gunboards Member

USA
14 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 12:52:43 PM

Can you use a 9 mm bronze brush on the maks?

SlimTim
TN-GA Shooters Forum Moderator

USA
5238 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 12:55:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Cruiser

I was of the understanding that the Makarovs were not Chrome lined?

Makarovs are not, but the Makarov's barrel is.

SlimTim

Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie.

Better Fred than red!
http://fred08.com

Georgians, Tennesseans, join your neighbors here!

logansdad

1693 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 1:08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jaguar

Can you use a 9 mm bronze brush on the maks?

Yes, you can. The difference bewtwwn the Mak bore and that of a 9mm Para is only 0.01".

Shooter of 5.7x28, .17HMR, .177, .22LR, 7.62x25, .32ACP, .380ACP, .38Spec, .357Mag, .357Sig, .38Super, 9x18, 9x19, .40S&W, .400CorBon, 10mm, .41Mag, .44Spec, .44Mag, .45ACP, .45Colt, 5.45x39, 5.56x45, 7.5x55, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .30-06, .303Brit, 12ga, 20ga

RobertD.
Gunboards Premium Member

136 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 1:09:11 PM

I found that just using the supplied cleaning rod wasn't enough to get all of the fouling out of the barrel. I recently went to a brass bore brush and the barrel is cleaned out with in a few strokes. I really don't think it'll hurt anything. The military uses chrome lined barrel in the M-16 and are supplying brass bore brushes with their cleaning kits. I think that the trauma of a bullett shooting down the barrel is a whole lot harder on the barrel than a cleaning brush.

Robert.

makarovdotcom
Owner Makarov.com

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 1:31:01 PM

We use the 9mm boresnakes at the shop. No steel to worry about...the weight is brass. Bronze brush is built into the snake.

-Karl

Makarov.com, LLC - a Gunboards Sponsor
http://makarov.com
866-MAKAROV

Spike
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
669 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 1:42:06 PM

How about a .40 caliber BoreSnake? Man! I love that thing! Two passes and I'm done. :D

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

k98k792

7165 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 7:14:53 PM

I also use the 9mm boresnake.

Mark R COG 792
Set the controls for the heart of the sun!
AK Mania! I'm a carrier.
Administrator http://www.militaryfirearm.com/

criticalbass

USA
2859 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 7:35:43 PM

Someone once told me that any steel pistol cleaning rod should be used as a "pull through." This would reduce the possibility of scratching. The only time I use one of these rods is at the range after shooting corrosive (or suspected corrosive) ammo. Otherwise I use more conventional tools.

These rods are a very useful item to keep in a toolbox. They are pretty tough, and can be used for lots of mechanical jobs. I have a bunch of them which came in a parts kit.

I have Maks from China, East Germany, Bulgaria, and one lone Russian PM. All appear to have chrome lined barrels. I don't know about the .380's or the modern manufacture 9x18's. CB

MakNik

USA
692 Posts
Posted - 02/02/2004 : 11:41:09 AM

Another solution is to go to your local hardware store and buy a can of the plastic coating for dipping your tools

Tape up the relevant parts of the Makarov tool with electricial tape
Dip into the goo.
Trim off the goo over the electrician tape.

You can even have fun and make it multi-colored.

Gun-control == OSHA for criminals...

BigGuns

USA
575 Posts
Posted - 02/03/2004 : 12:56:01 AM

Ditto on the 9mm boresnake...

"You have got to stand for something or you will
fall for anything"...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts