Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Read Only
4,633 Posts
If the bore is good, just sleeve the chamber....

...after drilling it out, to 3/4" or thereabouts, match the contours of the drill hole, and be sure to leave about half an inch of the original chamber in place for the neck of the case to go into. When I say match the contours, I mean a dead-nuts fit, the kind of seamless fit that is going to be without any flaw. This will require a high polish, both inside the hole, and on the sleeve. I would use 4140 barrel stock, was it me. Then heat the rear of the barrel, a heat gun is nice for this chore, and cool the sleeve with dry ice, and slide 'em together. Recut the rear of the chamber, and you're in business.

Please note that I would not recommend this trick with any other centerfire caliber, and that the case neck must enter the barrel beyond the repair, so that gas cannot attack the sleeve-barrel joint.

· Read Only
4,633 Posts
A partial chamber sleeve like this ....

...went for 45 bucks if I didn't have to rent the reamer, or 90 if I had to rent one. That was a few years back in West Texas, but I doubt it's gone above 60 to 105.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.