Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 1873 Springfield Trapdoor that was actually made in 1874, serial 14xxx. Examining it closely, it looks like there is a large pit or chip in the chamber that seems to be right next to or right at the joint where receiver and barrel seem to join. A dental pick sinks in pretty far but there is no other problems apparent with the rifle. Is there a means to close up and smooth out the pit to allow it to fire or is this a lost cause? The barrel and receiver scrib marks line up OK. I have no means to separate them to examine the threads and connection more closely.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Calgacus

Thanks, those are some nice suggestions I will consider. I am pretty sure it is not a crack as it does not appear on outside anywhere. It looks looks like a crater but might get a better look with your camera suggestion. By "plastic steel", are you referring to JB Weld, a product that has to be mixed together or is it some other product - I am not familiar with the term?

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fired - Here are Results

I decided to shoot the rifle and see what happens first. I loaded up some 405 grainer flat tips and used 60 gr of ffg. I was very impressed with how the rifle shot using the old 1st variation rear sights. I had to hold about 12 inches low at 100 yards at the lowest notch but got a real nice 5" group with 12 rounds - not shabby at all for me. The cartridge cases didn't pop out all the way but extractor did pop them out to end of range of extractor motion and then a flat tip screwdriver did the rest without trouble. The pit makes a blister on the side of the case as shown. I plan to make the pit smaller progressively with some JB Weld but the pit is hard to get to without raising it up above the level of chamber so I will take it slowly. Thanks for the suggestions above and for those who answered off line. Do you think these cases would be a problem to reload with a BP load again after sizing?

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Word!

Well now, you guys got my attention! Looking at my spent cases again, I notice a tiny pit directly opposite to the blister as shown. This pictures in my mind a large woodscrew-like bolt through the chamber and just a nick by the point of the woodscrew on the opposite chamber wall. I have studied the rifle and it appears that if what you suspect is true then it is only on the barrel as I can't detect any problem whatever with the receiver. So the seller (or someone earlier) must have matched a plugged barrel (one half so) to another receiver. The barrel is clearly a later one than the receiver but they might have tried to salvage the barrel because it is in nearly pristine condition (sans the drilled thread part).

I don't know what to do. Optimist's plan of attack is clearly beyond my capability. I guess I will try to close it up some with some JB Weld and keep any loads I shoot real light. Maybe when I win the lottery I'll try to get this rechambered. How much $ are we talking about for a job like that?

Big Commander-if you run across this thread again- I'm curious about the demilled ones you have come across - were they using a large woodscrew that only went through one side of the chamber?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.