Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my knowledge, this is the first Type 81S that's been photographed and details put online. This is an EXTREMELY rare rifle, and we're lucky to be able to take a look at it.

The rifle is a very interesting mix of SKS, AK, and SVD features. After handling it, I think it's not anywhere in the same league as a Type 56, but it's a very unique piece.

This particular rifle now resides in the Vickers Collection, my thanks to Mr. Vickers for the opportunity to photograph it.

Externals

Internals

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
SCHWEET!! Thanks!! That gas system has ALOT of VZ58 in it. I'd give some serious stuff for one of those rifles!! Thank you again for the excellent pictures!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Great photo reference stuff! I think they've been photographed and online with details for a while, both the military ones and the commercially imported ones, as a few lucky folks have a Type 81 and Type 81-1 which were of just a handful imported. If memory serves, someone was selling one a while back on Gunbroker, unless this is the one that was purchased from that auction. I believe Guns & Ammo magazine also had a multiple page article on them online in a 2007 edition. I think one of the interesting points about them in past discussions has been about the smooth muzzle devices/spigots and smoothsided gastube coverings found on the semi-auto commercially exported rifles as featured on the one in the photos above as opposed to the more ribbed versions of each found on the military-issue rifles.

Thanks for sharing the great photos again on a unique Chinese rifle for folks that may not have seen them a while back. Just need the Type 81 bayonet to make that thing sing in photos!

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
I see FAL somewhere in ther by the gas system. What an odd, homespun rifle. They actually engineered something of their own nd it seems quite interesting. I noticed all wood and the fact China was still using 7,62 instead of 5,45. Does China have an AK74 variant, or did they develop the 5mm or whatever they have before any adoption of Russian ballistics? I realize China and Russia weren't cozily married about that time, so I wonder if this wasn't due to the fact that they wanted to make their own stuff. Awesome gun and yet another one to find if ever lucky and conniving enough to get my hands on one.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,043 Posts
I'm seeing an SVT in that gas system (predates the FAL).

Very, very interesting and different. Everything looks...beefier. Thanks for posting.

Keith

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Excellent photos in this thread, and link to Guns&Ammo article.

A rifle I have always wanted. Wonder if someone could import newly made parts kits from Bangladesh, and build rifles here?

"The Type 81 is the main rifle of the Sri Lankan army since the 1990s, and Bangladesh recently announced the full adoption of the Type 81 as its standard rifle, obtaining license to produce 100,000 copies. In addition, small numbers of 81s also ended up in South Eastern Asia and Africa, notably Congo and Liberia. The 81 does not export well since it has no interchangeable parts with the AK and its price of $175 a copy in large military order is almost twice the cost of the Type 56-2 and other stamped-receiver AK copies."

·
Gold Bullet member+
French Issue APX L806 scope sets SOLD OUT
1,154 Posts
There was one for sale 3 years ago at the Houston Reliant Hall Gunshow....$1.200

Buddy

·
Registered
157 Posts
At the peak of this recession J&G sold one for 1550 and was immediately grabbed by a member here
He then sold his semi-auto T81 SMG variant to fund the semi-auto T81 rifle purchase (SMG = squad machine gun)

·
Gold Bullet member+
French Issue APX L806 scope sets SOLD OUT
1,154 Posts
Here is a Type 81 Bayonet and Scabbard I picked up at the Houston Reliant Hall gunshow / 2006......for a customer..

Buddy

·
Registered
758 Posts
There appears no way to strip load a magazine attached to this rifle as per a Simonov or Tokarev.

Also, the Type 81 magazine is proprietary altho a Type 56 automatic rifle box can be made to work; or is this statement a** backwards.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
I fondled these and the Chinese Semi Auto AK74 at the SHOT show...but sadly the Chinese ban killed the deal to import the "new wave" of Chinese Semi Autos. China Sports took my FFL and $750 to ship me one of the AK 74 "samples" after the show.

Two weeks later they returned my money and said the rifles were "destroyed". This was not true... I had been OUTBID after the fact by much deeper pockets.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts