Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinese type 81 rifle

15K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  mriddick 
#1 ·
Did they import any semi auto versions?

#2 ·
Wish they had! Story I read somewhere is that Norinco had just about finished a semi-auto version when the doors got shut! Supposedly offers better accuracy than an AK.
Would love to see kits imported, and a US made receiver built. Unlikely though as there does'nt appear to have been a lot of foreign sales. Only country I have heard outside of China is Sri Lanka. One of the few weapons I have'nt seen being used in Iraq.

#8 ·
It would have taken only the smallest amount of political "will" for the current Republican Administration to over-turn any of the numerous Executive Orders or Voluntary Restraint Agreements (Russia) related to firearms, signed by the previous Clinton Administration. And yet, in close to seven years of compassionate conservatism, nothing at all for the folks who brought them to the dance (i.e. gunowners). You can be rest assured you won't see anything better from the Senator from New Yorks' future Administration.

I apologize for the political swing but the answer is no, you will never, ever again be able to purchase anything but mattresses, clothing, bicycles, utensils, flatware, dishes, children's toys, tv's, Ipods, computers, software and everything under the sun manufactured by NORINCO in Communist China. Oh yeah, and a shotgun. But never again a real firearm or ammunition for the same American Gunowner. Ever.

#23 ·
nope nice try - there are still only two of these - that gun over at the ak forum is still mine. it has now been responsible for 2 different spotting's. so as far as i know my gun has been identified 2 times as 2 different weapons - which it was - it belonged to 2 different owners pretty fast after the rescue from the _____ gun shop. i am the #3 owner and will buy any other type 81's found just send me the offer to sell them to me. i will buy them all!

#27 ·
Back in late 1988 I requested a 4 color catalog from Norinco in the U.S.. They had a whole bunch of interesting toys lined up for importation. As noted they generated a lot of interest at the shot show. I will not argue the point on numbers but I was told by a guy at Norinco or who ever the primary distributor was that they had half a dozen of each of a whole range of rifles that were for use at SHOT show and to send to gun writers etc to generate interest. However it appears there were closer to eight or as many as a dozen of the AK74s. In any case the Type 81 ranks with the Norinco AK74s, 5.56mm SKS and some other really rare birds in collectability and interest. The 89 sporting purpose rewrite ended the importation of these. I believe they are mentioned by name in the BATFE ruling or position paper.
Yes I tried to get one but was told they were all spoken for well in advance of the January 89 temporary ban.
Nice serious collectors items in any case.

#28 ·
The drums are still out there, they don't/won't fit a standard AKM without modifying the catch.

I used to work for a retailer that got a few odd lots from KFS & these drums were among the 'strange things' that were sold about 10 or more years ago. We were actually told that they were type 81 drums & that fitting was required for AK use. I also sold a few type 81 30rd BHO mags on AK47.net in early 2003-2004. $50 back then.

#36 ·
the chinese type 81 is very thin like a svd and very lightweight feeling it has many well machined parts parts and an adjustable gas system. the barrel is a very heavy profile and the bolt and gas system looks like it came out of a svd. i think it is a masterpiece of form and function engineering and elevates my respect for chinese craftsmanship.

the gas piston is not attached to the bolt like an ak, in fact this weapon is far from an ak design in function. it is said that in full auto fire it can hold a target well because of the bolt piston design being so fluid. there is no slop or looseness of fit as found in most ak type weapons of similar outward appearance such as a rpk 74, everything on this weapon is precise and tight yet moves without any effort at all. the finish is blued and "hearkens back to a time gone by" like the bluing on a fn30 beltfed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.