Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I'll give a shot. Does anyone know anything about a Chicom pistol called a Type 64?? Cal. 7.62 x 17 .Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Len

·
Gold Bullet member
12,857 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this but I'll give a shot. Does anyone know anything about a Chicom pistol called a Type 64?? Cal. 7.62 x 17 .Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Len
Len:

Check-out the following:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/2011-12/05/c_131288470_6.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_64_pistol

I believe they can be considered one of those 1st rule of Fight Club type guns because they were too small to pass the "sporting purposes" import roadblock. I have never seen one but I imagine that like the old Walther TPH and other verboten, but highly desirable pieces, some found their way in.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have examined...

only one example.
That one was presented to Thai Major General Amnuay Kitsuwan (a good friend, now gone) during his visit to China for the purpose of buying a couple of batteries of 130mm guns.
The pistol was a little gem, beautifully made and finished, furnished in a very nice, lined, pigskin flap-type holster with an extra magazine and cleaning rod. In addition, he had several boxes of the unique ammunition - 25 round square cardboard boxes with the data printed (in Chinese) on the brown tape sealing them. He had never fired it, and obtaining any more of the ammunition was problematic.
Its resemblance to the Lignose Einhand pistol was very marked - I'd really have liked to have been able to talk him out of it, but...
I really liked it!

Later: I looked at the Chinese site linked above - the pistol they illustrate and the one I commented on are NOT the same gun - the illustrated pistol looks very much like a PPK knockoff. I cannot find a reference to the pistol I did examine just now, but am quite certain that it is chambered for the same cartridge (7.62x17mm), and was the first pistol to use it. I am (now) not so certain that the one I saw was classified as a Type 64, but am sure of its characteristics as I described them, and that it was initially made for issue to high-ranking Chinese officers (and, evidently, presentation to similarly-ranking foreign dignitaries). I'll see if I can stir-up a better reference on the pistol I described.

Still later: It appears the pistol I saw was the Norinco Model 77 - which, so far as I knew at the time, was the only pistol chambered for that cartridge (which caused my confusion, I suspect). I still like it! The Type 64 appears to be merely another Walther imitator, and chambered for a unique Chinese round, to boot.

PRD1 - mhb - Mike

·
Gold Bullet member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies fellas. The pistol I saw is identical to the one shown in the link Richard provided. The pistol is in great shape with one matching mag and a tan colored , blue corduroy lined shoulder holster with several leather loops sewn to it for holding cartridges. No import marks. Asking price is $900 firm. I can't find any sales of these to establish a price range so I don't know if what the seller is asking bears any semblance to reality or not. It's definitely an interesting piece!

Len

·
Registered
768 Posts
As to the price...

beats me. Norinco still makes them, though they are not currently importable (or ever were, previously) to the U.S., I believe. I doubt that a new one would cost nearly that much, if available. Still, I've never seen one, and suspect there are very few to be had here. The only drawback, if the price seems attractive to you, is that the ammunition is not interchangeable with the .32 auto, and would be very difficult to obtain.

PRD1 - mhb - Mike

·
Registered
768 Posts
And finally...

a bit more research finds some Type 64s for sale in Britain for prices ranging from 225 pounds up to 445 or so.
MARSTAR Canada imports and sells Norinco arms - they are fairly inexpensive, but the Type 64 is not currently listed - you could inquire of them regarding availability and pricing on the Canadian market.
Nothing found in the U.S.

PRD1 - mhb - Mike

·
Gold Bullet member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your efforts Mike. I saw the 64's for sale in England , dewats I think.

Len

·
Copper Bullet member
9,739 Posts
For shooting ammo, I believe you could simply turn the semi-rim of .32 ACP down to the correct rimless configuration.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Len

I saw that pistol at the Lakeland gun show yesterday and I was able to hold it too. Yes it was unfired and the bore still filled with grease. I first read about one of those in a Soldier Of Fortune Magazine in the 1980's and ever since I wanted one but since the are too small to be imported I know I never get one. This one was the first one I have seen and held it. Most likely my last one too. As for the price of $900.00. I think it worth it. How many of those are in this country, new and unfired? One maybe two. If I had $900.00 on me yesterday I would have gotten it. But good luck finding ammo for it and if you do it may cost just as much as the gun if not more. To bad the gun show doesn't allowed us to take pictures of it.

Mid-age

·
Gold Bullet member
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mid age,
Yeah that was one cool gat! Luckily I got the owner's phone #. He's in Miami and I'm in the Ft. Laud. area. Probably be paying him a visit in the near future.

Len

·
Registered
365 Posts
Len

I have look at the pistol many times but I don't remember, is that pistol a double action or single action? I most likely wouldn't see that pistol again but if you do buy it please post lots of pictures of it.

Mid-age

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.