Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I received the February issue of American Rifleman and there was an article by Cameron S. White on the Chinese Tokarev. In the article White shows a chart with the reported serial number ranges for the Type 54 from 1964 -1967. For the year 1964 he indicates that the earliest reported pistol is serial 11097XXX.

This is spurred my interest to pull mine out of the safe. My Type 54 1964 dated is serial number 11014185, which is much earlier than what he reports. Not sure where he pulled his data from?

I picked this pistol up from a colleague who reportedly received the pistol from his girlfriend at the time. Apparently the girlfriend's exboyfriend was in Vietnam and brought this back. When the relationship ended he left this behind at the ex's apartment. She then gave it to her new boyfriend who then gave it to me many years later.

The pistol is all matching, including one matching magazine and one mismatched magazine. It came with the leather holster with blue corduroy lining. Sadly, I do not have any papers with this rig.

If if anyone can comment on the serial numbers from the article I would love to hear.

Dave

·
Platinum Bullet Member
789 Posts
Yesterday, I received the February issue of American Rifleman and there was an article by Cameron S. White on the Chinese Tokarev. In the article White shows a chart with the reported serial number ranges for the Type 54 from 1964 -1967. For the year 1964 he indicates that the earliest reported pistol is serial 11097XXX.

This is spurred my interest to pull mine out of the safe. My Type 54 1964 dated is serial number 11014185, which is much earlier than what he reports. Not sure where he pulled his data from?

I picked this pistol up from a colleague who reportedly received the pistol from his girlfriend at the time. Apparently the girlfriend's exboyfriend was in Vietnam and brought this back. When the relationship ended he left this behind at the ex's apartment. She then gave it to her new boyfriend who then gave it to me many years later.

The pistol is all matching, including one matching magazine and one mismatched magazine. It came with the leather holster with blue corduroy lining. Sadly, I do not have any papers with this rig.

If if anyone can comment on the serial numbers from the article I would love to hear.

Dave View attachment 1906729 View attachment 1906737 View attachment 1906745 View attachment 1906753 View attachment 1906761 View attachment 1906769 View attachment 1906777 View attachment 1906785

Hi. Thanks for your interest in the article which I authored. Chinese Tokarevs are great pistols worthy of attention and close study. The serial numbers listed were based on my observations at the time it was written and are not considered definitive. My view is that this information is a start that can be built upon. I have very recently become aware of additional serial number information that can be incorporated in the future.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cameron, great article!

Yes, I must chastise myself because I know better. My excuse, albeit a poor one is that this pistol is outside of my usual collecting interests. I usually post on Luger Gunboards so I know the importance of getting the serials out there for research. My apologies!

Dave

·
Platinum Bullet Member
789 Posts
Hi. The reported serial numbers are from pistols I saw here, on line auctions, and those I saw in person.

By the way, 1964 dated pistols seem to be relatively scarcer than those made in 1966 and 1967. You have a very nice example.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,305 Posts
Reposting additional photos.
View attachment 1908065 View attachment 1908073 View attachment 1908081 View attachment 1908089

Are are these photos viewable in this post? For some reason the pictures show in my preview but he post isn't showing them? Any tips to fix this?

Dave
Not at the moment. I've seen this happening with high frequency lately. Perhaps a link from an image hosting site will show up instead of using the insert image function...? The recurring broken "space key" bug is occurring right now too. My work around for that is to type a word and a period then go arrow back before the period and start typing again since the space key works in edit mode *shrug*.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The funny thing is that when I access this post on my IPad, where I have my images stored, I can click on the files and see my images. When I was at work today and tried to click on the attachments they didn't work. Something is messed up. The pictures I was trying to post was the leather holster with blue corduroy lining.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
Hi. The reported serial numbers are from pistols I saw here, on line auctions, and those I saw in person.

By the way, 1964 dated pistols seem to be relatively scarcer than those made in 1966 and 1967. You have a very nice example.
I suspect (note - SUSPECT, indeed perhaps a WAG) that the higher incidence of 1966 and 1967 guns may have something to do with that damn (I was there and can testify it bloody SUCKED) war in Vietnam. The ChiCom were increasing arms supplies to their Commie buddies as things ramped up. And needed the guns. Which were in grater supply, so at increased risk of capture.

My Vietnam Bring-back (by someone else, no story to tell about it) is, moderately unusually, not a Chinese gun, but rather a Russian example made in 1945.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.