Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of these Chinese modified T99 barrels years ago. A chromed lined SKS 7.62x39 barrel has been pressed into the bored T99 LMG barrel. Gas port has been reamed to .200", as has the regulator in position #5. Gas port reaming hole in gas block has also been opened to accept the sks gas port scraper as well. Modified magazine was done to prevent modification of mag well in receiver and is not original. I set the head space at "GO" +.003 and the gun runs fine with all ammo & case types. The current shim is a Langley "1.3". Both barrels came with the original flash hiders. Lots of fun to shoot, and the scope is perfectly zeroed for the 7.62x39 ball loading. JH

Attachments

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Very nice. When were these barrels available? In The 80's? I like the idea of the modified mags and keeping the original mag well without an adapter. That's a very early Kokura barrel.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were not very many of these T-99 barrels brought in. They were mixed in with the pallets of ZB-26 barrels that had been converted to 7.62x39 as well as some BREN barrels, also in 7.62x39. I think it was around 1993. JH

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,534 Posts
JH,

I have one of Jim's barrels, it runs fine, but would much rather have an original barrel. I've seen one like yours years ago, but I could not break it loose from the owner. I have an original 99 barrel that was converted to .308 WIN. I found it about 10 years ago. I shot some .308 though it, but at 50,000 psi I've stopped. I am attempting to convert it to 7.62x39mm. The problem is the barrel was reamed to .30-06 and had a .308 insert installed. It is held with permanent red loctite. I tried to remove it last week to install one of MCA's .30-06 to 7.62x39mm chamber inserts. No luck, she is in there. I am going to order one of MCA chamber insert and convert it. Thanks for sharing yours.

Shannon

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JH,
How much of the SKS barrel is in the 99? The whole length or just the camber area?
The complete SKS barrel is pressed in. The SKS barrel is to short to go completely through however, so there is an extra "flash hider" for the last few inches of the original barrel that is the diameter of the SKS muzzle end. JH

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
The complete SKS barrel is pressed in. The SKS barrel is to short to go completely through however, so there is an extra "flash hider" for the last few inches of the original barrel that is the diameter of the SKS muzzle end. JH
They must have had one big drill bit to bore a straight hole in a 99 barrel. I wonder if you could just use the chamber end of a SKS barrel and do it that way?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T-99 LMG SKS barrel liner

They must have had one big drill bit to bore a straight hole in a 99 barrel. I wonder if you could just use the chamber end of a SKS barrel and do it that way?
Ed, when all the barrels, (mostly for the ZB-26), came in from China, a pallet of Chinese SKS barrels, no gas port drilled, no markings, came in with the pile. The importer said they were to be used for replacements for any badly worn barrels in the pile. I bought a few (about $8 each) in case I wore out any of my barrels. I have never had to replace a liner, but I understand you just press them out with an arbor press, repress in the new liner, and cut the clearance slots for the extractor and feed ramps. JH

Attachments

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ed, when all the barrels, (mostly for the ZB-26), came in from China, a pallet of Chinese SKS barrels, no gas port drilled, no markings, came in with the pile. The importer said they were to be used for replacements for any badly worn barrels in the pile. I bought a few (about $8 each) in case I wore out any of my barrels. I have never had to replace a liner, but I understand you just press them out with an arbor press, repress in the new liner, and cut the clearance slots for the extractor and feed ramps. JH
Thanks JH for the photos. This would make a good project for finding a 99 barrel that had the chamber welded.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Ed,
one can't drill a straight hole that large or deep; would have to use a boring bar in a lathe.

·
Gold Bullet Member
568 Posts
I had a good friend9Now departed) who came t oPhx after WW2-He went to work for Bill Sukelle who was a barrel maker -They also did a lot of rebores- He told me that once you get used to what you are looking at,no barrel is bored true-The lone exception was Japanese military barrels-He said every one of them,even last ditch, was bored true- He never could figure out how they did it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
I had a good friend9Now departed) who came t oPhx after WW2-He went to work for Bill Sukelle who was a barrel maker -They also did a lot of rebores- He told me that once you get used to what you are looking at,no barrel is bored true-The lone exception was Japanese military barrels-He said every one of them,even last ditch, was bored true- He never could figure out how they did it.
Feral Man, what does that mean - bored true?

·
Gold Bullet Member
568 Posts
If you look down a rifle barrel you can see slight bends and shadows which means the hole is not perfectly straight-The Japanese bores were perfectly straight-Don't know how they did it-I have a book on the K98K Mausers being made and they show workers straightening the barrels-

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,216 Posts
If you look down a rifle barrel you can see slight bends and shadows which means the hole is not perfectly straight-The Japanese bores were perfectly straight-Don't know how they did it-I have a book on the K98K Mausers being made and they show workers straightening the barrels-
Mucho Thanky! Always new things to learn

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
So my question for you machinist guys is. If you had a chamber welded type 99 barrel. Could you use a SKS barrel chamber end for an insert? Open up the type 99 barrel chamber end turn down a SKS barrel chamber end and insert it into the modified 99 barrel. It seems easier than boring out an entire 99 barrel? This could bring a basket case type 99 lmg barrel back to life.

·
Gold Bullet member
927 Posts
I have a barrel that was sleeved to 7.62x39. It was done because of being welded shut.
My question is anyone else concerned about the 308 conversions due to the pressure.I didn't even think of it tell Shannon mentioned it?

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have a barrel that was sleeved to 7.62x39. It was done because of being welded shut.
My question is anyone else concerned about the 308 conversions due to the pressure.I didn't even think of it tell Shannon mentioned it?
Can you post a photo of it?
In my conversations with Shannon. We both agree that .308 is to much pressure for a 99 to operate at. You may get away with it for awhile. But we both feel that sooner or later something will give. Usually it's the moving parts. I think the op rod would be #1. I think he broke an op rod running .308.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
This old thread as so good on so many levels. Remisce about when cool gun stuff would come in from China, dream about shooting the heck out of an old gun because you can now get the ammo, learn who Bill was, and apparently the Japanese were fantastic barrel makers.

I wonder what’s changed since ‘14 with regards to the original posters and any gun they’ve referenced.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts