Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to purchase another SKS. And have noticed on the ads that potential buyers always ask for the factory codes and serial number of Chinese Sks. Would someone please enlighten me as to what is important about the factory codes and serial numbers of Chinese Sks’s? and any other information regarding SKS’s.

Thanks in advance.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Kikir, SKS rifles were made in many arsenals around China. The most common arsenal is "26" in a traingle. Using the serial number of arsenal "26" rifles you can determine what year it was produced. During it's period of manufacture there were many changes made to the rifles. At first mostly milled parts were used, and barrels were screwed into the receiver. Later stamped parts were used and the barrels were attached with pins. There were many other changes, which are to numerous to talk about here.

Also some early Chinese made rifles are call "Sino/Soviet rifles". The Chinese obtained the machinery to manufacture SKS rifles as well as a supply of Soviet made parts from the Soviets. These Rifles are called "Sino/Soviets" because of the use of Soviet parts on otherwise Chinese rifles. These rifles also had their own serial number range. These rifles also either had or didn't have parts or markings which would indicate they were made during this time period (such as a blade bayonet instead of a spike)

Some collectors collect rifles from different arsenals which have different receiver markings.

The true authority on all things SKS is a fellow board member named Howie Bearse. I hope he will chime in and further illuminate you on these cool rifles. Also check out the following web site additional info on SKS rifles.

www.simonov.net

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,415 Posts
chinese factory code collectors

It is possable to find over 150 differant factory codes in the surplus sks carbines that were importyed from china. i collect by variation and factory code so the markings found on the receiver are important to me. Many carbines at the end of the importation were made for quick sales and to supply a differant variation for the commercial market. these include all that do not have a factory code with spike bayonet and those that were made to be parade carbines, paratrooper shortened carbines, and the carbines that had a 30 round ak mag factory installed. for me nothing is collectable except the full military ones, but for others they like the ones that are more interesting or fun to shoot. either way the chinese sks offers allot of collectors possabilities.

·
Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer
4,049 Posts
Howie,
I'm glad to see you made it to the new boards...some folks still haven't posted yet and I don't know if they have made it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts