Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all!

I picked up an SKS a couple years ago from a pawn shop for $400 flat. It was on a black synthetic stock, had been converted to a 5 round steel box mag, had an aftermarket dust cover with integrated top rail, and a tiny 5x scope smashed down on the top.

Since then I've toyed with it a little. It's on a TapCo stock now, and I chose to get a higher capacity TapCo box mag to go with it.

Ultimately I sought out the original integral 10 round mag for it, and some stripper clips. What tips and tricks or fun facts do you guys have for using and maintaining the SKS?

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I would strongly suggest to find old wood stock and put it back into it. SKS is extremely simple and easy to maintain rifle. Average accuracy will be on / slightly above 3 MOA. It eats most ammo and it's not picky. Clean the channel for firing pin well, some people were running them all gunk up and those firing pins can get stack and cause slam fires.
Also, sometime feed lips on internal mags are loose and rounds will be escaping magazine. Other than this, just keep using it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, sometime feed lips on internal mags are loose and rounds will be escaping magazine. Other than this, just keep using it.
I believe I've experienced this before; what's the best way to curtail this? Gently bend the feed lips inward to the centerline?

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
don't waste your money buying chinese commercial stripper clips(NcStar), they're junk and don't work, go with military stripper clips either chinese or east bloc, ie. Yugo, Russian

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,669 Posts
Yes, find a wooden stock for the pinned or threaded barrel, whichever you have, and install the 10 round fixed magazine.

For stripper clips, use:
  • Authentic military issue Chinese which come in multiple factory codes. The authentic factory 31 clips are challenging to distinguish from the poorly performing NCStar knockoffs that are also marked 31 but the latter have a larger "circle 31")*
  • Soviet, ЗТК marked
  • Czech, BXN marked
  • Yugoslavian, unmarked, phosphated, best source is M67 ammo in 40 round boxes on stripper clips

* NC Star "31" on the left compared to an authentic military surplus Chinese 31 on the right

1 - 6 of 6 Posts