Gunboards Forums banner
461 - 464 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It's definitely not a Gew88 and is a Hanyang 88. It has the different front end that is a copy of the 1893 Mauser pattern. As for the Thai lettering, I'm not sure. Are there similar letters in Chinese script that just merely look like Thai? A Hanyang 88 with Thai letters doesn't make sense from what I can tell. All Hanyang 88 rifles were made within China, so one having Thai stampings would be odd.

I picked mine up from Century Arms a year or two ago which, as far as I know, they acquired from Springfield Sporters when Century bought Springfield's inventory.
Please do not open any stock screws --> try to keep the stock in the condition you've got it.
Your Hanyang stock looks to have some old Thai stamps on it.
But as you wrote: 'A Hanyang 88 with Thai letters doesn't make sense from what I can tell. All Hanyang 88 rifles were made within China, so one having Thai stampings would be odd.'
--> your stock looks very interesting...

btw. all the pics are from the same rifle ?
Chris

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
It's definitely not a Gew88 and is a Hanyang 88. It has the different front end that is a copy of the 1893 Mauser pattern. As for the Thai lettering, I'm not sure. Are there similar letters in Chinese script that just merely look like Thai? A Hanyang 88 with Thai letters doesn't make sense from what I can tell. All Hanyang 88 rifles were made within China, so one having Thai stampings would be odd.

I picked mine up from Century Arms a year or two ago which, as far as I know, they acquired from Springfield Sporters when Century bought Springfield's inventory.
A very odd rifle:
  • there are some Thai letters and numerals visible on the metal parts. Don't look to be lately exchanged...
  • but it's a Chinese Hanyang rifle
  • doesn't look for me like a Bubba job
Please post some more pics of your rifle!
Thanks a lot, Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please do not open any stock screws --> try to keep the stock in the condition you've got it.
Your Hanyang stock looks to have some old Thai stamps on it.
But as you wrote: 'A Hanyang 88 with Thai letters doesn't make sense from what I can tell. All Hanyang 88 rifles were made within China, so one having Thai stampings would be odd.'
--> your stock looks very interesting...

btw. all the pics are from the same rifle ?
Chris
I regret to say that I've already had the rifle disassembled before this. When I received it I took it apart to clean because it was absolutely filthy. The barrel band on it was only held on by a couple finishing nails so I bought an 1893 Mauser barrel band retaining spring to slip into the old slot so I didn't have to reinsert the finishing nails. I also took out the bolt head and moved it into my Gewehr 88/05 because my Gew88 didn't have one so I couldn't shoot it. Those are the only two changes I've made to the rifle since receiving it.

And yes, all of the pictures are of the same rifle! Are there any parts of the rifle you're particularly interested in seeing more pictures of?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I regret to say that I've already had the rifle disassembled before this. When I received it I took it apart to clean because it was absolutely filthy. The barrel band on it was only held on by a couple finishing nails so I bought an 1893 Mauser barrel band retaining spring to slip into the old slot so I didn't have to reinsert the finishing nails. I also took out the bolt head and moved it into my Gewehr 88/05 because my Gew88 didn't have one so I couldn't shoot it. Those are the only two changes I've made to the rifle since receiving it.
And yes, all of the pictures are of the same rifle! Are there any parts of the rifle you're particularly interested in seeing more pictures of?
Hello darman1138,
your rifle looks too interesting, i'd like further pics.
I didn't have the chance to check my Thai Mauser M1903 for these marks, but from my impression, these 2 marks look like Thai numbers or letters - at least, they're not Chinese.

For not to hi-jack this (sticky) thread, i'd ask you to open a new thread. The name might be like 'odd Chinese Hanyang rifle with Thai marks'...
Please show all the high-quality pics you've made up to now (btw: your Macro pics are really good !). Additionally, some detailed pics from receiver part stamps, and stock stamps. The 2 Thai stamps were on the receiver, so probably more Thai stamps might be visible there, probably under the wood line.
How to distinguish: every mark which is only 1 or 2 lines, twisted, looks to be non-Chinese. The Thai numerals in question are similar in writing style to our western numerals: 1, max. 2 twisted lines per letter. (in fact, both derived from same Indian writing style)
Please refer to me, why opening a new thread.

Why that effort: i've asked a collector friend, who is an expert on German Gew. 88 --> he told me, that he don't know of any Gew.88 variant, which was delivered to Thailand. The same, we don't know of any Hanyang variants, which were used in Thailand
--> these Thai marks seem to be a mystey ! Ok, the mark on the bolt track looks like Burmese No. 4 --> very strange...

Thanks for your effort !
Chris

461 - 464 of 464 Posts