Gunboards Forums banner
441 - 460 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
The yellow painting is someone's name followed by what looks like "113" possible a rack number. The name could be the person the rifle is issued, likely a militia member or high school/college kid attending military training. The top character is "Ying", the last name, the second and third characters are the first name, "Fengzhen". The name is more like a female name as both characters in the first name were normally in a girl's name. With very rare cases that a guy has a female name, very rare, but not impossible. No doubt there are females in militia unit, and among school kids received military training, but unlikely front line solider being female. Couldn't identify green paint characters.
That is so awesome! Thank you for the help! I love these pieces of history!

·
Registered
344 Posts
That is so awesome! Thank you for the help! I love these pieces of history!
By the way, the period of the yellow paint applied likely be in the 1960's. It's evident from the mixed of traditional and simplified Chinese characters in the name. As shown in the simplified vs traditional Chinese characters in the attached photo, the last name and the first character of the first name were in traditional Chinese characters, while the last character of the first name is in simplified Chinese character. The simplified characters were officially adopted in 1964. The mix of traditional and simplified Chinese characters might be during transitional phase or the simplified characters replaced traditional counterparts through phases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
By the way, the period of the yellow paint applied likely be in the 1960's. It's evident from the mixed of traditional and simplified Chinese characters in the name. As shown in the simplified vs traditional Chinese characters in the attached photo, the last name and the first character of the first name were in traditional Chinese characters, while the last character of the first name is in simplified Chinese character. The simplified characters were officially adopted in 1964. The mix of traditional and simplified Chinese characters might be during transitional phase or the simplified characters replaced traditional counterparts through phases. View attachment 3845006
Wow, I did not know they were still using these rifles after the Korean war. Learn something new every day. Thanks again, this is cool!

·
Copper Bullet member
37 Posts
View attachment 3844968
The last character of the top row means "south", the first character is hard to figure out. These 2 characters means a name of a province, county, or city. The 3 characters in the bottom row means department/ministry of armed forces. However, in China, local department/ministry of armed forces is not directly control the military forces, but rather, in charge of veteran's affair and militia, including militia training and high school/college military training activities. The characters in the rectangular is hard to read, as it looks like double stamped or scratching over initial stamp, likely a 3-character phrase means "for training".
thank you!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow, I did not know they were still using these rifles after the Korean war. Learn something new every day. Thanks again, this is cool!
Not front line, but militia or school military training activities. By then,56-冲 (Type 56 Chong, Chinese copy of AK-47) and 56-半 (Type 56 Ban, Chinese copy of SKS) should have already been issued to front line units.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This was a pawn shop find they obtained from an estate sale of vet. No date FN30. No import mark. FN crest. Serial is 70xxx range for receiver and barrel. Surpised it had sharp rifling. Has this on the stock. Not even sure this belongs on Chinese thread, but few others thought might be a militia mark and possibly Chinese contract fn30.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is a thread to gather all stock and metal engraving infomation on Chinese origin rifles. I myself and others who can read Chinese will attempt to provide translation and hopefully other info related to the item. Hopefully others with similar branding can obtain info from this post.

Please post pic of your items with Chinese writings.

I'll start with 2:

This is found on a T77 rifle manufactured by Zhe Jiang Iron Works during the War, it is a copy of the FN 1930. The exact origin of this militia unit is un-resolved.
Chinese can be read from right or left depends on when it was done. So it could be He Nan Militia or Nan He Militia.
Background: Usually the militia unit is a local org, not provincial. There is no other sample that had the provincial name associated directly with militia found yet.

This is found on a FN 1938 rifle. It is most likely branded during the War by the military unit which this rifle was assigned to.
This is a thread to gather all stock and metal engraving infomation on Chinese origin rifles. I myself and others who can read Chinese will attempt to provide translation and hopefully other info related to the item. Hopefully others with similar branding can obtain info from this post.

Please post pic of your items with Chinese writings.

I'll start with 2:

This is found on a T77 rifle manufactured by Zhe Jiang Iron Works during the War, it is a copy of the FN 1930. The exact origin of this militia unit is un-resolved.
Chinese can be read from right or left depends on when it was done. So it could be He Nan Militia or Nan He Militia.
Background: Usually the militia unit is a local org, not provincial. There is no other sample that had the provincial name associated directly with militia found yet.

This is found on a FN 1938 rifle. It is most likely branded during the War by the military unit which this rifle was assigned to.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,393 Posts
That stock marking is clearly Chinese, but you will need to wait for someone else to translate it. I would guess that it is a post WWII militia marking.

·
Registered
102 Posts
P series VZ24 1937 stamped on receiver. P series S/N on stock and on receiver, but they are not matching. Trying to find out meaning of this stamp on stock. Is it Chinese?
View attachment 3855780 View attachment 3855778 View attachment 3855779 View attachment 3855780 View attachment 3855778 View attachment 3855779 View attachment 3855780 View attachment 3855778 View attachment 3855779
That's something uncommon, the font is called Seal script 篆書,the two characters looks like 治 Zhi 安 An, public security. If the carving was legit, it probably was issued to a police or militia force which might be done prior to communist party. Even the Nationalists government required police/militia guns to be stamped with proper marking.

Here's the seal script of 治安:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for looking! And providing some info. As I mentioned, the s/n on the stock (P_8772?) is different from the s/n on the receiver (P80723). However, now that I stare at it long enough it seems possible that the stock and receiver are matching. Hard to see stock (photo attached). It seems that if the Chinese characters where not genuine, a more common font would be used?
Wood Rectangle Trunk Tints and shades Electric blue
Wood Musical instrument Natural material Hardwood Electric blue

·
Registered
191 Posts
I recently picked up this FN 30 Chinese contract Mauser and it has this carved into the stock. Can anyone please help decipher the meaning? This is the best shot I could get and unfortunately it looks like the markings have taken some wear over the years.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked up a Hanyang a year or so ago. I've browsed this thread looking for similar markings and didn't catch any that look like mine. Can anyone tell me what these markings mean? Any markings on the rifle are in these three pictures. My rifle has no markings on top of the receiver and it's completely smooth.

And here's the rifle in all its glory
On Pic#1 are three Chinese characters reading from right to left. Only the left one is recognizable which is 縣 Xian, means County.

Serial number is 3B1556, there should have been a Chinese character 乙 (Yi) before the numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On Pic#1 are three Chinese characters reading from right to left. Only the left one is recognizable which is 縣 Xian, means County.

Serial number is 3B1556, there should have been a Chinese character 乙 (Yi) before the numbers.
Thanks for the reply! I got a feeling I had missed some marking earlier when I took photos so I just took the rifle apart again to inspect and found a couple more markings as well as took a picture of the stock stampings under a different light to see if it improves readability.

Marking in the bolt track.

Marking on the bolt retainer.

Stock stampings (different lighting)

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I got a feeling I had missed some marking earlier when I took photos so I just took the rifle apart again to inspect and found a couple more markings as well as took a picture of the stock stampings under a different light to see if it improves readability.

Marking in the bolt track.

Marking on the bolt retainer.

Stock stampings (different lighting)

Thank you for your help!
The middle character seems like 慶 Qing to me.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Thank you for your help!
For me, some letters look like Thai letters:
  • the bolt track looks like Thai No. 6
  • the bolt retainer looks like Thai letter 'K'
How did these Thai Mauser parts get on your Chinese stock???
They look to be on that stock for quite a long time --> very interesting!!!

Chris

edit: it's a Hanyang, so a Gew.88. Did Thailand (Siam) buy Gew.88? I don't know about...

·
Registered
4 Posts
For me, some letters look like Thai letters:
  • the bolt track looks like Thai No. 6
  • the bolt retainer looks like Thai letter 'K'
How did these Thai Mauser parts get on your Chinese stock???
They look to be on that stock for quite a long time --> very interesting!!!

Chris

edit: it's a Hanyang, so a Gew.88. Did Thailand (Siam) buy Gew.88? I don't know about...
It's definitely not a Gew88 and is a Hanyang 88. It has the different front end that is a copy of the 1893 Mauser pattern. As for the Thai lettering, I'm not sure. Are there similar letters in Chinese script that just merely look like Thai? A Hanyang 88 with Thai letters doesn't make sense from what I can tell. All Hanyang 88 rifles were made within China, so one having Thai stampings would be odd.

I picked mine up from Century Arms a year or two ago which, as far as I know, they acquired from Springfield Sporters when Century bought Springfield's inventory.

441 - 460 of 464 Posts