Gunboards Forums banner
421 - 440 of 464 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
View attachment 3819842
This 3 character in this orientation is someone’s name. The characters are simplified character, which means the one who carved his name is one who used the rifle after 1964, when the communists started to use simplified characters. Simplified characters: 严俊飞,Traditional characters: 嚴俊飛 The first character is last name: Yan, the next 2 characters are his first name, Jun Fei. Likely, he’s a militia man who this rifle once was issued to or a student that received military training.

View attachment 3819846
This photo, in this orientation, has 3 or 4 stamps. The last one in the circle, means “people”, which is the leading character of “people soldier”, which means militia. The other 2 stamps are hard to determine from this angle. Likely a property stamp from organizations that once took possession of this rifle. If you can take a zoomed photo of 1 stamp a time, it might help to translate the other 2 or 3 stamps (the redish paint might be one)
Hello. I now have possession of the rifle
The other stamps are. Inside the handguard is a handwritten note that says 3rd force sizhong no 1950625
Thank you

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hello. I now have possession of the rifle
The other stamps are. Inside the handguard is a handwritten note that says 3rd force sizhong no 1950625
Thank you
If you can take a photo of the handwritten note in the handguard, it will be great, as the phrase "sizhong" depends on how it's been written in Chinese, could mean No 4 middle school, or 4th column, which was a famous PLA unit, or something else, as there are so many combinations sounds that way.

·
Registered
344 Posts

This could be an militia acceptance stamp, or could be the rifle was issued to militia unit whose duty was guard a check point. It's hard to determine as the leading character in front of "7" is hard to read what it is.

·
Registered
344 Posts

The top row, "9th district", the third row, leading character is "people", same as the one in oval stamp which is the leading characters in "people soldier" which means militia. This might be the actual militia unit inventory stamp. The second row has 3 characters but too hard to read. This second row indicates this rifle was issued to one of the several militia units that were under the 9th district command. Which means the militia unit was a small unit. The character "district" is a traditional Chinese character rather than a simplified Chinese character. This means that the initial issuance of the rifle to this militia unit was before or around 1964, the year that China officially start the use of simplified Chinese character.

·
Registered
344 Posts

The handwriting in the handguard: the 2nd and 3rd character from the left should be switched. That means a guy named Ran (last name) Sizhong (first name), who belonged to 3rd Village Commanding Post wrote this on September 25, 1950. Likely, his troop ID was 52418. The way 1950925 written was for the year and date format, distinct from the use of "period" in between the month and date. There should be a "period" in between the year and the month, but seems like missing here. Could be he missed it, like he switched "3" and "village". All the characters are traditional Chinese characters, which is consistent with the year of 1950. The only exception is the "number" after 25 which means "date" rather than "number" in the content. This character is strangely in simplified Chinese character. Traditional: 號, Simplified: 号 .

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
A gun built in 32. A guy writing in 1950. A guy carving his name on outside of stock very late 60s at least. A guns story. Thank you

·
Registered
344 Posts
A gun built in 32. A guy writing in 1950. A guy carving his name on outside of stock very late 60s at least. A guns story. Thank you
...and how many battles in different wars it has participated. At least 2nd Sino-Japanese War, 2nd Chinese Civil War, may have stayed out Korean War as in 1950, the handwritten unit was a village level militia unit. Could have been issued to different militia units.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Adding to the repository.

Other than the serial number the metal markings are basically gone, although the backwards swastika on the receiver is still visible.

·
Copper Bullet member
37 Posts
Hi all,
I have a couple of salty Arisakas that appear to have Chinese inscriptions on their stocks. The inscriptions are well worn and may be difficult to decipher. I hope you will excuse me for bringing Arisakas to a Mauser forum but this appears to be a great place to start my enquiry.
Brown Handwriting Wood Artifact Font
Brown Wood Rectangle Grey Wood stain

·
Registered
6 Posts

This is my Hanyang 88 I received a few months ago from Century. Can anyone tell me the stock markings? The serial number is 5B414. Thanks!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi all,
I have a couple of salty Arisakas that appear to have Chinese inscriptions on their stocks. The inscriptions are well worn and may be difficult to decipher. I hope you will excuse me for bringing Arisakas to a Mauser forum but this appears to be a great place to start my enquiry. View attachment 3837801 View attachment 3837802

The last character of the top row means "south", the first character is hard to figure out. These 2 characters means a name of a province, county, or city. The 3 characters in the bottom row means department/ministry of armed forces. However, in China, local department/ministry of armed forces is not directly control the military forces, but rather, in charge of veteran's affair and militia, including militia training and high school/college military training activities. The characters in the rectangular is hard to read, as it looks like double stamped or scratching over initial stamp, likely a 3-character phrase means "for training".

·
Registered
344 Posts
View attachment 3844950 View attachment 3844951 View attachment 3844952

This is my Hanyang 88 I received a few months ago from Century. Can anyone tell me the stock markings? The serial number is 5B414. Thanks!
The yellow painting is someone's name followed by what looks like "113" possible a rack number. The name could be the person the rifle is issued, likely a militia member or high school/college kid attending military training. The top character is "Ying", the last name, the second and third characters are the first name, "Fengzhen". The name is more like a female name as both characters in the first name were normally in a girl's name. With very rare cases that a guy has a female name, very rare, but not impossible. No doubt there are females in militia unit, and among school kids received military training, but unlikely front line solider being female. Couldn't identify green paint characters.

421 - 440 of 464 Posts