Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 389 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread to gather all stock and metal engraving infomation on Chinese origin rifles. I myself and others who can read Chinese will attempt to provide translation and hopefully other info related to the item. Hopefully others with similar branding can obtain info from this post.

Please post pic of your items with Chinese writings.

I'll start with 2:

This is found on a T77 rifle manufactured by Zhe Jiang Iron Works during the War, it is a copy of the FN 1930. The exact origin of this militia unit is un-resolved.
Chinese can be read from right or left depends on when it was done. So it could be He Nan Militia or Nan He Militia.
Background: Usually the militia unit is a local org, not provincial. There is no other sample that had the provincial name associated directly with militia found yet.

This is found on a FN 1938 rifle. It is most likely branded during the War by the military unit which this rifle was assigned to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Great Idea Firearms. I have always wondered what the cartouche on my rifle meant.

Here's mine.

M1930 China stock&#46.jpg
It's a FN Model 1930

Besides the marking on the butt someone also craved 2 characters into the handguard between the receiver and rear sight.
2..jpg 3..jpg

A friend of mine from Tiawan said that the character on the butt may mean "Luck" but he wasn't sure. He also said that it looked like it might be Japanese. At that point in time I hadn't even seen the characters on the handguard.

Thanks,
765mm

·
Registered
313 Posts
those are tough, 765. the handguard characters are hand carved, and are a personal name. the family name at the top is recognisable, but the lower character is not known. the stamp on the buttstock is not a recognised character, so is a symbol of some kind.

·
Registered
313 Posts
here's some pix of the current chinese militia. the girls pictured are in the beijing rose militia:

"The two leaders in front, Zhao Na and Zhang Xiaofei, come from the Zhonghua Women's Academy who major in ad modeling and image design. They postponed their graduation because they wanted to participate in the military parade."

http://www.zonaeuropa.com/20091002_1.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

My best guest on this one is that it is "Chun" done in artistic way, it is probably a place name. The carving on the hand is "Yu Chun" which means at the Chun place. The 2nd word defied the Chinese writing principal so it is probably done by someone who is not really literate and done it wrong.

This one is "Ping" which is probably a place name. "Wu" which is Armed. "Jian" which is check or inspect. I think it means the "Armed Militiia Check Point at Ping". "Accepted" usually is another word "Yan" or "Qi" that are commonly encoutnered.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Mauser rifle that I have here has a Chinese brand on the stock and on the receiver there are small suns or sunbursts on the side at the woodline. there is no date stamp on the rifle, only the Mauser
2055..jpg

banner on the top of the receiver and 7.92. I have been told it was made in the early 30's according to Ball's Mauser book.
2048..jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Mauser rifle that I have here has a Chinese brand on the stock and on the receiver there are small suns or sunbursts on the side at the woodline. there is no date stamp on the rifle, only the Mauser
View attachment 305377
Same as the above "Keep & Utilized" except the photo is upside down.
These 98k configured rifles went to China in 1937-1938 and had 12-point sun star on both side of the receiver ring, barrel s/n and several places on stock (grip, main butt body, etc.)
The 12-point sun is the national symbol of Republic of China, still in use in Taiwan today.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the 12 point sun is the symbol of the kuomintang party, which was in power on the mainland until the communists pushed the KMT out in 1946-49.
it was the symbol for china from the mid 20's until the liberation. it remains the symbol for taiwan, as KMT is the reigning political power in taiwan.

·
Silver Bullet member
7,961 Posts
Wow folks thank you for the Translations!..I love my Chinese Mauser and would appreciate any help you can give ..I've got a little custom stock work on mine as well as a bunch of markings.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The imprint is too light, I can't make out much. The first pic I can see "Armed", I can't tell the locality.
However, you do have a great ZZS specimen. It is one of the last produced in the 1st Arsenal(old Hanyang) before it got shut down(O series, correct?). Today, the 1st is the Factory 296, well known for the 26 marking on NDM-86, SKS, AK, etc.

·
Silver Bullet member
7,961 Posts
Thanks very much!..Those pics are old and I'm a little better with the camera now. I will try and see if some diff. angles and lighting will bring out some of the markings better. I bought this on Auction arms some years back and the seller never mentioned the stock work or pictured it..He must have thought I was crazy when I wrote him a big thank you note and told him how much I enjoyed it..Price was really more than fair and he made no illusions to it being minty LOL

Thanks again!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,453 Posts
Here are some markings on my P-series VZ24. I know the two small markings mean first and third but the large symbol is as yet unknown.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

On the left, it is the same as the 2nd pic I posted in the begining of this thread but writtern vertically - Keep and Utilized.
On the right, again, written vertically - Training.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the left, the 3 characters are "Ren Wu Bu", written vertically, People's Armed Dept or Armed People's Militia Dept.
In the Star, it's "Gong", usually short for "Gong An" - Police.

1 - 20 of 389 Posts