Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Chinese Mauser ?. appears to be a model 21.
research indicates it to be made in the 1930's ? how do you tell year made.
it has the number 21 stamped on the reciever, barrel and trigger, no where else.
that is the only marks on the entire rifle, nothing else.
the stock is not a two piece, no marks on stock and crudly made inside, chisel
marks and so forth, but not cracked and very good shape, barrel and reciever are
not pitted and still have a lot of blueing, further research states they were made by the
Chinese for export to Mexico, true or not. there is no crest either, never had one.
it is however missing the bolt, but my Arisaka bolt fits it to a tee. the forward barrel,
bayo band closely resembles the one on my Arisaka also, but not the same. stock is
45 1/2 inches long, barrel is 29 inches w/ threads, overall length is 49 1/2 inches.
rear sight is 1700 meters, small blade front sight. now the strange part, there is no
rifiling whatsoever, not at either end of the barrel or in the middle, completely smooth
all the way through, and somewhat shiny. ? rumer has it that some of these had smooth bores for grenade launchers, ? as I said it is missing the bolt, trigger gaurd and floor plate.
would any body have either of these or know where to get them, as soon as we know what we have for sure that is.
Thanks for any and all help on the I.D. of this rifle. estimate on value may help also.

Peafowlguy

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Arisaka Style Trainer

Sounds like a Japanese Arisaka style paramilitary trainer. They used blanks, so the bores did not have rifling, and the wood and metal parts were often made from material not sturdy enough for regular weapons. They often had no markings except the serial number. They were used for paramilitary training and drill in colleges and high schools, etc.

You should not try to fire live rounds in these Japanese trainers.

A Chinese Type 21 is a strict Mauser short rifle with 23 1/2 inch barrel, Mauser 98 action, and 8mm Mauser caliber. They come in several varieties of receiver markings.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. so it is an Arisaka type trainer, any ideas on how many were produced and a value estimate, still need bolt, trigger gaurd and floor plate also.
will any Arisaka bolt work, ?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would be glad to post pic's, if I knew how, anyone knowledgable in the
picture posting process, please let me know. I put the Trainer back together
after a good cleaning, looks good, for it's intended purpose anyway.

Thanks again

Peafowlguy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts