Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the posts about Chinese 7.62x39 ammo raised a question from the past. Back in the day, Keng's sold this caliber in sealed tins on stripper clips headstamped 101 71 and indicated that it was somehow more accurate than the other surplus on the market. Does anyone have any evidence that this claim was true? I shot some at the time, but never made a serious attempt to check whether it was better than any others that I used. Thanks, Bill

·
Gold Bullet member
1,767 Posts
I haven't any proof that there is any Chinese match quality 7.62x39 that was imported, but I do have a couple of cases of Chinese imported ammunition that IIRC was advertised as match grade when I purchased it. It is packed as you describe with 30 rounds on strippers wrapped in brown paper.
I don't know the headstamp and haven't dug out the cases for several years as it's steel core and was deemed unsaleable by ATF (at least by me).

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I have two different brands of chinese 7,62x39 ammo. One case has the chinese ammo on 10rd strippers wrapped in brown paper bag material. Three 10rd strippers per wrapping. The other cases are in 20rd yellow boxes and marked non corrosive, chinese norinco ammo. These cases were 1440rds each. I only shot the yellow boxed norinco ammo so far and found it to be very accurate. In my stash of 7,62x39 ammo i have the silver boxed norinco ammo beisdes the east german white box, the more common russian barnaul and russian wolf. But i do have some early russian hp 20rd boxes too.

Some 7,62x39 ammo history. After the chinese norinco ammo was stopped from being imported. I believe it was life before the net at the time that sportsmans guide offered the russian barnaul 7,62x39 ammo at $59 per 1,000rds. When sportsmans guuide ran out of the russian barnaul ammo they offered the russian wolf 7,62x39 ammo for the same $59 per 1,000rds. At the sametime they offered the czech silver tip 7,62x54r by the 880rds case delivered for $85 to your door.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I bought some of that ammunition in the 90's

but was told the SKS , popular at the time , didn't

have the hutzpah to require match grade stuff .

FIVESHOT

·
Copper Bullet member
8,950 Posts
Seriously, 7.62x39 Match ammo? Chinese 7.62x39 Match ammo?? Chinese 7.62x39 Match ammo on 10-round SKS strippers???
It's called marketing.
I love Chinese ammo, but "Match" it ain't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tend to agree with jonny c. on this.

Back circa 1989-1991 (I've slept some since then and can't pin the date down any better) I went in with two friends to buy an entire pallet of commercially packaged (as opposed to milsurp) Norinco 7.62x39 in sealed wooden cases of 1200-1440 rds each. Most turned out to be packed in yellow or green boxes with a few cases of silver boxed ones. Some were marked as being steel-core, some lead-core with most boxes of the steel-core silver and some of both lead AND steel-core yellow having 'Match' marked on them. IIRC, the headstamps were basically the same regardless of how the box was labeled and I can recall that, upon visual examination, I noted no readily discernable differences between the cartridges in these so far as case finish (some were lacquered, some copper-washed), primer/bullet sealant color or additional unique headstamp markings either.

While the steel-core silver box does seem to deliver more closely uniform chrono data (avg. velocity, ES and SD) and marginally smaller groups than anything else I've run through my comtemporarily-manufactured Norinco 'commercial' SKS the operative term is 'marginally'. There have been a good many occasions where I've gotten benched and bagged groups from both flavors of the yellow box stuff without the 'Match' designation on it which were only fractionally larger than my best silver box ones.

Frankly, while almost any of the commecially-packaged Chinese 7.62x39 ammo I've run across usually delivers markedly better average groups from my carbine than any Russian commercial or variously-sourced genuine milsurp I've yet to run across will, I'm of the opinion that putting the 'Match' designation on those boxes was almost certainly a pure marketing ploy, the object of this being to add the implied cachet of superior quality to their products in an increasingly competitive market segment.

Just my $0.02. While it's possible that I might be mistaken, my personal observations tend to lead me to believe otherwise.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,359 Posts
The Chinese and the Russians are pretty well known for "creative" descriptions on their ammunition packaging for US consumption. Words such as "match", "non-corrosive", "high quality" are thrown in at will. Most are not to be believed.:)

Though they both make some very good ammo.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
The stuff Keng's used to sell was Chinese Vietnam era steel core, Match??? Sure sounds good, though. It was sixties and early seventies corrosive Chinese m43 ball. Great shooting stuff, but didn't know they were shooting at us over there w/ match ammo!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I just purchased my chinese ammo as surplus ammo nothing was said or marked as being a match quality ammo. It shoots accurate enough.(10rd strippers). The chinese norinco yellow box 7.62x39 ammo is marked norinco sports.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts