Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my favorite shops scored a lot of SKSs at a police auction, so naturally I had to prowl through their new toy box.

They're all Chinese, but one has a laminated stock. That's a new one to me - is that something special, or did someone put a Russian stock on there?

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
51,796 Posts
Someone could of added a Russian stock or it could be Egyptian, they would take Chinese guns and add laminated stocks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'll give it another look today and see if there are any marks that give away Egyptian heritage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you can take the gun down and look at the enletting you may make a discovery. A Russian stock will be well fitted and more finished on the inside. Few to no stray wood threads. An Egyptian contract factory 26 will be more roughly finished. It may also have a bayo cutout for a spike and in the stock you will also see the rements of the blade cutout.

Some of these will have Egyptian markings "ones imported from Europe" and others were overruns imported from China and lack Egyptian markings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the details. I looked at it again on my way to work. Couldn't find any markings on the stock or receiver to indicate Egyptian ownership. It is a factory 26 (in triangle). Funny you should mention the bayo cutout - the bayo is too long for the original bayo cutout, and it looks like someone took a drill to ream out the slot so it will fit - then shellacked over it to match the rest of the stock.
Must be one of the overruns.
I left the shop thinking "Bubba;" Now you have me wondering if it was Woo Tang...
The rifle feels good, if that makes sense - well fitted, solid. Bluing looks very good. Rear sling attachment is on bottom rather than side. They offered it for $225, but since I have 4 other SKSs of various flavors -- so many toys to choose from, so little cash to play with...c'est la vie.

PS - It'll be at the AGCA show in Birmingham this weekend unless they come to their senses and offer a deep discount on it for my Basement Ordnance Works. Will probably be other dealers there who purchased lots at the auction as well, but I know there were a couple of Tennessee and Kentucky dealers there, too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can check it and see - what range should I look for?

BTW, I was wrong on date of AGCA show - it's Oct 13-14, not this weekend.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,618 Posts
I have only seen one Chinese SKS that might have been in an Egyptian laminated stock. The stock was different than a Russian laminated stock.....had more of a plywood look. It was darker and reminded me of some of the laminated stocks on a Maadi AK.

·
Registered
677 Posts
look at the proof marks on the rifle....i own a Sino-Soviet SKS and the proof marks are identical to the '51 and '54 Soviet SKS's i have...look at the chamber end of the reciver and the barrel at the chamber near the rear sight ...my factory 26 also has a chromed blade bayonet and an un-numberd laminated stock....the bolt is blackend (all chinese i seen are not)...unless its a beater id go for the laminated one...just might be one of them holy grails of SKS collecting

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I read up on Sino-Soviets and learned that the serial number would be a single alphabetic character followed by four digits.

The rifle in question is not that - no alphabetic charaters, and about 8 digits in the serial number, starting with a 2. (sorry, should have written it down.)

Thanks for the input and info, guys. I'm convinced now that it's part of the production overrun for one of the north African contracts.

The shop turned down my best offer on it, confident that they can get more at the gun show - and they're probably right. I just hope its another Gunboarder, if anyone else is interested.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I have two Chinese SKS rifles with laminated stocks and hand guards. Both were purchased in 1986 from a distributor. By first glance you would think they were Russian refurb's. They both have black bolt carriers, and have the Cyrillic upside down "U" for the depressed setting on their rear sights. The finish of each of them is more like a Russian rifle than a Chinese one. The color is blacker that the usual Chinese blue. Both are factory /26\ rifles and display other early features such as screwed in barrels.

One rifle has a blade bayonet and shows the early milling recess on the right side of it's bolt carrier. It's S/N is in the 9,000.000 range.

The other rifle has a spike bayonet. You can see where it once had a blade, as the cut for it is still evident in the longer cut for the spike. The S/N for this rifle is in the 200,000 range with the numbers 12 lightly stamped in front of the other numbers.

To be honest I forgot I even had these rifles until I saw this post. They have been buried in the back of one of my safes, and other than yearly oiling had forgot about them. I remember when I bought them that they were strange and I bought them because of that. It's hard to believe I bought these rifles 21 years ago time does fly!

I will try to take some photos when I can of these two rifles. JIMMY C

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a laminated Chi-com, factory /26\, 9000000 range SN, three chinese characters.
Small CAI import mark on right side in front of gas block,
blade bayo,
cyrillic upside down 'U' on rear sight, whitened sight markings
white bolt carrier, not darkened.
Cleaning kit in butt, cleaning rod blued (?)
Looks completely unissued. I bought it on AA or GB a couple of years ago, hoping it was actually a Russian.
Until this thread, I had never heard of chicom laminated SKS other than this one.
I suspected it might have been a Bubba.
What would indicate the Egyptian connection, if any?
I usually disassemble/reassemble each gun soon as I bring it home.
I dont remember anything remarkable on the inside but it has been a while.

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
I have found two common things to the Egyptian rebuilt sks's. The bolt carriers are black/blued, and they have laminated stocks. The laminated stocks have cruder laminations than the russian's do, often showing gaps in the wood laminations. They will also be thinner in the wrist area than russians. Coneten is spot on about the wood and finish looking similar to Maadi rifles. I have not noted any markings to the metal that would indicate egyptian use, but some will be found with numbers in Farsi(?) painted on the stocks. Note this description is for Egyptian rebuilt sks's, and that there seem to be non rebuilt Egyptian used sks's out there as well. The only clue to these would be Farsi markings on the stock as far as I have observed, and many people would mistake them for straight Chinese in many cases.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts