Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow shooters, I have 520 round tins of 7.62x51 and 20 round boxes of Norinco China Sports .308
BOTH headstamps are 61 92 and copper washed
Why is the tin ammo "corrosive" but the 20 round boxes NON corrosive, they seem to be the same cartridge ???
Please give info/input, Thanks

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
No certainty the tims are "all" filled with Corrosive ammo, but for sure the ones I tested were. The cases were all made in the same run/batch and loaded/primed as the customer needed. Perhaps the tims were over run from a true military need...such as free commie aid to Afican freedom fighters using G3, FAL and other NATO chambered weapons. We had Corrosive Czech, Bulgarian, and Syrian 7.62x51 ammo from the same era.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Sorry you ended up with a ruined bore but I must say, why not just do a quick clean up and swab with CLP?
Only takes a few minutes and leaving the CLP in the bore for a week or two softens up the remaining carbon making it easier to brush out.
I guess I got spoiled by shooting only corrosive milsurp for the last 20 years, cleaning is part of shooting for me..

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sorry you ended up with a ruined bore but I must say, why not just do a quick clean up and swab with CLP?
Only takes a few minutes and leaving the CLP in the bore for a week or two softens up the remaining carbon making it easier to brush out.
I guess I got spoiled by shooting only corrosive milsurp for the last 20 years, cleaning is part of shooting for me..
IF we had known the boxes lied to us, we would have cleaned - but it was a weekend MG shoot, and we had like 20 MG type guns to clean, ( some with ammo we know is Corrosive primed) and the ammo was LABELED non corrosive. Thought it could wait. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Gotta remember with any copper washed cases like those of Russian or Chinese should be treated as corrosive regardless of if they are or not. Better to clean as corrosive than to find out later your Post-Sample 1919A4 got trashed. Don't trust the boxes.

·
Silver Bullet Member
12,176 Posts
If you have to open a sardine can to shoot it, it is definitely corrosive. I would treat ALL Chinese ammo as corrosive, even up till manufactured today.

·
Copper Bullet member
798 Posts
I just picked up a hundred rounds of this exact same ammo at a gun show this weekend. It was loose in bag and I assumed it would be corrosive. I will continue with that assumption. I only paid $15, figured it was certainly worth that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.