Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
China "Shanghai Volunteer Corps" Colt 1911 Pistol...a nice AA arsenal reissued Colt 1911 that I researched years ago when I got it...At that time the SRS Springfield Research Service was available and this serial number was a hit as issued to the SVC...Does anyone know of a current database that may have information on the SVC or records of their firearms (other than SRS which seems to be defunct and worthless now)? This pistol may have quite an intriguing history with further research. Thanks for looking. Ed

Link to an article describing the SVC using pistols: http://books.google.com/books?id=pF...Shanghai Volunteer Corps" Colt pistol&f=false

·
Silver Bullet member
34,809 Posts
Its a bummer their online search has been disable for years now, used to get a lot of good info out of it. They should have at least kept it going as a subscription service, kinda like Carfax for U.S. military arms.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Does anyone know of a current database that may have information on the SVC or records of their firearms (other than SRS which seems to be defunct and worthless now)? This pistol may have quite an intriguing history with further research.
Ed:

The SRS is not defunct. It just no longer offers free information to collectors. If you are serious about tracking down info on your pistol then contact the SRS for the information that it apparently has access to. It won't be free, but then nothing worthwhile usually is. Here is the link: http://springfieldresearchservice.com/ Good luck.

Regards,
Charlie

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
The amount of information available on US firearms is so small it is mind boggling. Most firearms will get no hit. Most that get a hit, the info will be near worthless. It is almost a needle in a haystack, or more like a nail in a haystack. It can be worth the effort but mostly it is a witch hunt. US firearms records mostly were simply destroyed or are lost.

·
Silver Bullet member
34,809 Posts
The amount of information available on US firearms is so small it is mind boggling. Most firearms will get no hit. Most that get a hit, the info will be near worthless. It is almost a needle in a haystack, or more like a nail in a haystack. It can be worth the effort but mostly it is a witch hunt. US firearms records mostly were simply destroyed or are lost.
Allow me to offer an SRS counter-point.

I recall someone posting on rec.guns about inheriting a Colt 1903 that was U.S. property marked. I referred them to SRS which was still online and searchable at the time. They replied back while their specific SN wasn't listed, it was only a handful of numbers off (on either side) of pistols issued to General Officers during WWII.

Thats how I found out my 1903 was in a block that were sent to Hawaii. That explains the finish.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,893 Posts
Allow me to offer an SRS counter-point.

I recall someone posting on rec.guns about inheriting a Colt 1903 that was U.S. property marked. I referred them to SRS which was still online and searchable at the time. They replied back while their specific SN wasn't listed, it was only a handful of numbers off (on either side) of pistols issued to General Officers during WWII.

Thats how I found out my 1903 was in a block that were sent to Hawaii. That explains the finish.
If it is US Property marked, and the marks are not fake, it is documented. The gun can speak in that respect. If the number is not exactly on point, it remains suspect and no way to know to whom it went. You can get a Colt letter and do as good or better. Hey, SRS is not worthless, it is a nail in the haystack. A nail has value, especially if you have a magnet. I have looked through a notebook of SRS data, probably 500 pages. A lot of it was junk. 544445 1911 was issued to joe in 1934. Wow. That helps.

Having collected M1911s for over 30 years, I have heard calls and screams for documents for where has this pistol been. The answers have been a peep or most often nothing other than serial ranges and when they were shipped. Colt letters typically give squat other than serial number, to Springfield Armory, AEF Brooklyn Navy yard, whatever, Blue finish, etc.(and almost all was already known by other sources so the letter was worth Zero). SRS hits for 1903 NM rifles, esp. those sold thru the NRA or DCM do happen. Hits for the M1911 and A1 are not often productive.

I recently looked at a GO pistol in the box for $9500. It was blue, US Property marked and was about 1942 production from the serial number. It had pictures of the GO that it was issued to, him getting his first star in 12-44, him in Korea, him wearing the pistol, documents showing his purchase from the government when he retired, etc.. It had nothing from SRS and it did not need it. Most GO pistols can be traced as they had the option to buy them when they retired and get the paper to show it. Some declined to buy but most did not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts