Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re-chambered to 7.62x51mm (NATO)...or .308 Win. Dings and dents in the stock, and the crest is a bit worn. Looks to have the two-groove barrel from when they were re-barreled from the 7mm to the NATO round.

The four main serial numbers are there and matching, but the back end of the bolt is mismatched, along with the rear sight.

Photos will follow in the next post.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
As stated, rebarreled with 03A3 tubes chambered for 7.62 NATO. I believe the 1912 Chilean long rifles in this caliber used the original 7mm barrel taken out to 7.62 and have a chamber insert. I have one and when I can get those blasted crappy Mauser sights lined up it seems very accurate.

I think yours is unusual in that the bolt matches. It doesn't look ground and renumbered or anything.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Second time shooting it today. Last time I only put 10 rounds through it. Today I put 40. 25 yard un-air conditioned indoor range. My glasses kept fogging up. 30 in the chest, 10 in the head. Also, not the easiest target to see. Should have picked something else.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,777 Posts
The last time I bought any of these it was from Century Arms.
They were selling them as incomplete/no bolt.
I bought a total of 11, out of which I manages to put together 9 complete rifles, as most came complete with mismatched bolts.
All fired and functioned fine, IIRC most were @ 12" high at 100yds using USGI 7.62x51 Ball.
When I bought the 10 pack they were $15.00 each with $2.00 each shipping. Nice $17.00 rifles. Sold them all for $125.00 ea.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,150 Posts
Probably started life as a long rifle, then shortened when converted to NATO.

If it was rebarreled, it's probably okay. If it was sleeved and rebored, what you do is up to you but I personally would not shoot it.

I have seen a lot of guns on the ragged edge that came out of Arsenales de la Guerra, and great caution is warranted.

M

1 - 15 of 15 Posts