Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Recently acquired a barreled action of the first Chiang Kai-Shek rifle (AKA Type 24) in the K-block serial range. The receiver shows that it was made by Hanyang Arsenal in 1934, which is consistent with the information in Goldsmith's 'Arming The Dragon'.
Musical instrument Cylinder Wood Gas Household hardware
The other serialized parts which remain are numbered '1' as well.
Brown Wood Natural material Beige Metal Wood Gas Auto part Metal Rust
Curious if anyone else here has encountered a Chinese Mauser with a single-digit serial before.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,398 Posts
The year is 1945 rather than 1934. Goldsmith is incorrect about Hanyang dates. They are the same as other Chinese rifles.

A s/n 1 in the K block is very uncommon but every block had a s/n 1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow a s/n of 1 is cool on anything, even if it's just a sub series. Are stocks for type 24s available or do they fit fine in other Mauser stocks?

I don't know much about the intricacies of the various 98 Mauser that are the same but arent.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,398 Posts
Wow a s/n of 1 is cool on anything, even if it's just a sub series. Are stocks for type 24s available or do they fit fine in other Mauser stocks?

I don't know much about the intricacies of the various 98 Mauser that are the same but arent.
The best bet for an affordable stock would be to buy a Chinese Chiang Kai Shek rifle stock or even buy a tired Chinese Chiang Kai Shek rifle to get the stock. The Type 24 rifle is the same as the Chiang Kai Shek rifle. The model designation was changed early, I think during the first year of production.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
It should be interchangeable with most Mauser 98 parts. Though I'd prefer to furnish it with Chinese ones if possible. Regarding a stock, I've seen Chiang Kai-shek rifles for sale that could be used as donors. But their stocks seem to be even rougher than their receivers/barrels. I did think it'd be amusing if I could get a reproduction actually 'Made in China' , but doubt that's feasible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts