·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check Those Cartridges in Your Holster

Topic author: arisakadogs
Subject: Check Those Cartridges in Your Holster
Posted on: 06/30/2007 8:24:54 PM
A while back I put 18 original rounds in my 14 dated "replacement" T-26 holster. Sure glad I checked them today as they looked like a verdigirs deposit! Never had quite this problem with the older "original issue" holster I used to have them in. I cleaned them up with a paper towel & returned them to the older holster. They do look cool in the pouch, but I can't help but think how it must have sucked to reload from this pouch in combat!

Download Attachment:
119.62 KB​

Replies:

Reply author: Gregg
Replied on: 06/30/2007 10:41:58 PM
Simple answer, do not store cartridges you want to keep in leather!
Gregg

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 06/30/2007 11:35:20 PM

quote: Originally posted by Gregg

Simple answer, do not store cartridges you want to keep in leather!
Gregg

Duh, Thanks!

Reply author: weimar_police
Replied on: 07/01/2007 10:04:02 AM
Police have this issue if they do not periodically change their ammo. Usually standard practice is to exchange your ammo on range day, several tiems a year. Those that do not do this, see this problem too.

(US) Military peacetime rotates stock and issues ammo on a daily basis. Wartime military the NCO is supposed to check with his troops and ensure that they've either rotated their ammo or cleaned it (dry clean, no oil)

I would guess, and is a pretty good SWAG, that military in WW2 either rotated or cleaned their ammo, guns and equipment frequently. If your life depends on it working, well..... those that don't, don't survive was the axiom I always heard...

Reply author: mariko
Replied on: 07/01/2007 11:14:17 AM
I was given this old shell belt a few days ago,ugly mess...

Download Attachment:
186.28 KB

Reply author: 03man
Replied on: 07/01/2007 11:25:31 AM
it depends on the tanning of the original leather. Some obviously used more acidic tanning agent than others, in this case the later holster. The early one may have even been vegetable tanned.

I see the same big variation in the amount of verdigris on the buckles on my slings, some have none, others so thick the buckle won't move.

I agree, the actual use of ammo from the loops must have been a pain, loose rounds in the pocket would have been easier; or just leave off the pocket, like that strange baby holster you posted from the auction.

Reply author: christian rifle
Replied on: 07/01/2007 11:30:28 AM
" I can't help but think how it must have sucked to reload from this pouch in combat! "

Indeed. War must suck bad enough with good equipment.
If things got 'pistol close' I wonder if most officers even made it through their first cylinder.

Reply author: arisakadogs
Replied on: 07/01/2007 11:40:27 AM
I've noticed that in almost all original photos of the T-26 the soldier has one of those little ammo pouches on his waist strap. Would be easier than the pouch to deal with. Another bad feature about the T-26 is that the cylinder is free to rotate. So you could fire off a few shots, run around a bit with the cylinder brushing against your trousers & just when you need it most - come up with an already fired chamber!
03, I think you have it right on the tanning agents used. I've seen the same thing.

Reply author: PAPA_UKIE
Replied on: 07/05/2007 10:03:02 AM
Never store brass cartridges in leather loops. That is the reason they make nickel plated cartridges. Nickel with never corrode in leather. I have a belt full of nickel plated 22 rimfire hanging on a hook in my bedroom at my cabin for about 30 years now and the cases still look new.

Reply author: Quigley
Replied on: 07/05/2007 11:02:32 PM
I recall in the 1970's that some local PD officers would spray their cartridges with WD-40™ to keep them from binding in their leather carriers.
WD-40™ penetrated so well that the powder in their cartridges got contaminated and would not fire.
Q

Reply author: Nagoya10
Replied on: 07/05/2007 11:38:15 PM
Maybe that WD40 got into the primer as those seem to be more susceptible. WD40 is not good for anything connected with guns, in my experience.

Thats good info about the nickel plating. I was unaware that was one of the reasons for it.

Reply author: davef
Replied on: 07/06/2007 07:12:09 AM
if'n youse guys brasso-ed your ammo on a regular basis it wouldnt be that nasty green..nothin like two bandoleeers-o-brassoed ammo fer your pearl handled sixgun (wood is so Oldfashionedy) to make yuh look he-manish..Add a nice fightin knife the size of a poinard, and some spitshined boots an yer all set....of course maybe using the ammo rather than just settin around lookin pretty hep'd keeps it clean and shiney in the field.

Gunboards : http://old.gunboards.com/
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

1 - 1 of 1 Posts