Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Cool site. Some nice pics. there. I like the one of the Arisaka "skeleton", complete with monopod, all the wood gone! Man, I'd really love to visit a lot of these South Pacific places one of these days.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah its an awesome site. Those guys really take that place serious, they know every inch of the battle areas. Amazing what relics they keep finding. I would have thought more Japanese weapons would have shown up, but I guess those got collected and souveniered pretty thoroughly. Especially the pistols and swords.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Peter Flahavin is a friend of mine and great guy. His website is definately top-notch. Now how about this remarkable find in Peleliu's ridges!

-Eric

·
Registered
401 Posts
Eric:
Awesome! "We also found a fully loaded BAR and a few Type99's, wood rotted away. Helmets lying everywhere."
I'm curious: were you able to bring any such items home with you ... or did you have to leave them where they lay?
Every collectors' dream to stumble across such things....
JohnB/

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On wehrmacht-awards some guy named ryukyutunnelrat had found a M1 carbine laying up against a tree on Okinawa with about 80 percent of the wood still on it, it just had a small chunk rotted out of the butt, but the buttplate was still attached. I will post pics if I find them.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Nice find! I've always wanted to do a "tour" and see what all was stll out there... pity bringing stuff back is so tough... :(

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I imagine you could get an importer to get some of the rifles back, but I wouldnt hold my breath on a machine gun.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Eric:
Awesome! "We also found a fully loaded BAR and a few Type99's, wood rotted away. Helmets lying everywhere."
I'm curious: were you able to bring any such items home with you ... or did you have to leave them where they lay?
Every collectors' dream to stumble across such things....
JohnB/
Man, that would seriously be exciting to find and see, hopefully as it was left those many years ago.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
A study of the series found on the various islands would tell much about the distribution of T99's and 38's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts