Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
there are no existing parts kit for those, and iraq never ever sold those in the US, it is a smuggled in iraqi weapon......there are no such of a animal as "bring backs" anymore, a 'bring back" would be a firearm with capture paperwork, they are not letting troops legally bring back weapons, the correct term for things like that is contraban.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually believe it or not, some units in desert storm let men bring semi automatic guns home, and even demilled RPGs and machine guns.

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
actually believe it or not, some units in desert storm let men bring semi automatic guns home, and even demilled RPGs and machine guns.
I don't believe it, because it is not true, I was in DESERT STORM........now units could bring back captured weapons, and equipment ie artillery pieces, tanks etc.., for training or display in their BN Hqs or in front of their Hqs if it was a piece of equipement. but as far as individual soldiers being allowed to bring back weapons, demilled or not, legally nope that never happened. so whoever told you that, is BSing you. the CinC centeral command (schwarzkopf) issued that order himself. we were allowed to bring back mags, and soldier items gas mask, uniforms, patches and such.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Hey Josh, your personal link in your signature isn't working.

I have heard that you can still bring back weapons if you are high up in the service or have outstanding connections. For the average guy, forget it.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I have seen several pistols that came back from Desert Storm. Combination of connections, and smuggling. Personally I don't care how they came back. Todays soldiers, considering how much they have to go through, deserve a few trophys!

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,707 Posts
My son made Desert Storm and initial Iraq invasion, I guess he wasn't high enough, said it was hard enough to get himself home in one piece much less any decent souveniers. I woudn't be surprised if Mr. DrPepper doesn't have a few official questions to answer on this one. Skid

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think it works now.

I have heard from many veterans that sometimes if you had a pro second ammendment CO he would sometimes let you skirt the regulations on firearms as trophies. But I also know alot of guys who brought back guns illegally(they dont have the guns anymore, they were either donated to museums or demilled), including an Iraqi AK that was later demilled and the guy got rid of the sear. Its now a semi auto AK clone. So I am guessing most of the time, souvenir owners are either very lucky, or have connections.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I've heard from some vets that they weren't allowed toi bring home patches or bayonets and I've heard from a few others that they were able to get a few things out with permission or had some things smuggled out.
Would love to get ahold of an Iraqi used Makarov and holster!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A member of my forum has one, and he has the Tariq pistol too, I have a buddy who is in Iraq right now, and he is currently looking for a parts set for me for a tariq pistol. I plan on building one from a donor helwan.

·
Registered
437 Posts
there are no existing parts kit for those, and iraq never ever sold those in the US, it is a smuggled in iraqi weapon......there are no such of a animal as "bring backs" anymore, a 'bring back" would be a firearm with capture paperwork, they are not letting troops legally bring back weapons, the correct term for things like that is contraban.
SfcRet is correct on this one...Trust me, I tried as hard as I could to bring back an SVD...No luck.

Mike

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,088 Posts
That "Made In Iraq" billboard looks like it was done by hand with a ruler and an electropencil and why isn't it written in Sanskrit?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The iraqis used English alot, I have uniforms with tags written in english. This whole setup is Iraqi, but I think it may be someones project gun, every part I see is Iraqi.

BTW, Sanskrit is used in India.

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
I'd bet on a smuggle job.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can anybody get me the email of the seller, I would like to know because I am going to write a book on Iraqi stuff and I need his permission before getting the pics in a book. I am also not a member of gunbroker.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts