·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good news is that it was free. The bad news is:
Pink Red Textile Magenta
Trigger
Antique tool Rebate plane

The guy who gave it to me didn't know where it came from, but it looks like it spent alot of time in a humid environment. The "GEW 98" is only about half visible and the receiver stamps are only deeper pits on the receiver. I'm going to soak the front band with kroil and see if it will come apart.

·
Silver Bullet member
55,547 Posts
see worse look better after a warm bath in kerosene and a loving touch.....
how does the inside firing pen and rifling look.....?

·
8,104 Posts
There is plenty of good news there for a WW1 collector, too bad there was no story with it, it is likely a battlefield recovery. For heaven's sake don't "soak it", it won't do any good and it will destroy any value it has, which in some collecting fields could be a fair amount... if you had the story.Seriously Dave, preserve it as is. And the primers may already be dead anyway, the bolt has been fired, empty brass in the chamber so it is safe. Many battlefield recovered specimens are cocked and have a "live" round in the chamber.

Can you make out anything on the receiver?

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is plenty of good news there for a WW1 collector, too bad there was no story with it, it is likely a battlefield recovery. For heaven's sake don't "soak it", it won't do any good and it will destroy any value it has, which in some collecting fields could be a fair amount... if you had the story.Seriously Dave, preserve it as is. And the primers may already be dead anyway, the bolt has been fired, empty brass in the chamber so it is safe. Many battlefield recovered specimens are cocked and have a "live" round in the chamber.

Can you make out anything on the receiver?
Receiver is unreadable. You can make out the bottom of the "8" in GEW98, but that's it. Range markings on the rear sight are readable though. I could shadowbox it.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,423 Posts
Many battlefield recovered specimens are cocked and have a "live" round in the chamber.
I bought a similar rotted example at a gun show because it had some intact parts. It had a live round in the chamber...a 308 Winchester! It also had a rod welded in the barrel. The bolt was removable. I had to cook the round off by carefully heating the receiver in a remote and safe location. Spandau 1915. Pity it had been ruined.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,322 Posts
Put about 1/3 acetone in the Kroil or whatever. Makes it a LOT easier for the oil to penetrate the rust as the very thin acetone carries it in. but keep the mix away from anything plastic. A day's soak should do it.

I learned this the hard way as usual, taking apart 1878 Nepali Francotte Martinis. Wrecked some screw heads and cussed a lot before I started using acetone.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I like it. I'd definitely prefer it as is and not cleaned and would buy it in the present condition over cleaned condition.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Seen a lot worse. I'd just wipe it down with an oily rag.

Somebody once gave me a single barrel 12 ga. they dug up installing an underground gas tank. Actually, just the barrel and receiver, back half gone, no fore-end. Some genius tried to shoot a .50 BMG round in it, and the case was welded into the chamber. I would love to know "the rest of the story". Good candidate for a "Stupidest videos" entry.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I like it. I'd definitely prefer it as is and not cleaned and would buy it in the present condition over cleaned condition.
I agree! I think I would try to make an interesting display with a plaque with a simulated mud/dirt background and some old rusty barbed wire. Maybe some old crusty cartridge cases thrown in and voila!....some neat wall art for the gun room! Or you can just stand it in the corner!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.