Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

Wow, my second Enfield in less than a month, hope this isn't like a case of Mosinitis. Bought from a fellow Calgunner, nice guy, rifle looked like a good deal and will be fun to shoot. To me, this rifle has just the right amount of wear. The more C&Rs I own, the less I like my "perfect" ones and the more I dig the ones with some honest wear like this one. 1947 ROF (F), non-matching, "Jungle Carbine". I don't know a lot about the history of these, other than the most obvious so I would appreciate any feedback or comments from our Enfield experts. I like my M44s better than my 91/30s so the idea of carbine Enfield is appealing to me. It is a four digit serial, I just got rid of the last two numbers and yes, I know I am paranoid.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's one of those ones from the last AIM Surplus batch and the guy sold it to me for what he paid, $350.00. I think I did okay? I asked him why he was selling it and he shot it several times, he just wasn't crazy about carbines, he was a larger guy so him holding it up, it looked like 10/22. My lucky day!

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
The Forsters are .070 which has befuddled many collectors into thinking their rifles needed work or were unsafe when they were actually OK. You can use the gauge to know whereabouts the headspace is at, but you're going to need another gauge at 074 if seeking peace of mind.
There are plenty of threads on this board dealing with headspace. Search them out for a good debate on the topic.

The wartime emergency spec is much more generous and those rifles didn't blow up in use. However those rifles weren't using thinner commercial brass and reloading wasn't a factor. Read up a bit and make up your own mind.

I was blessed with a 4pc set years ago. To tell the truth, I really don't fret over headspace anymore and only bring out the gauges when selling a rifle to show the buyer where the headspace is at.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,631 Posts
You might want to check for rust under the wood, and kill it if there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So who makes .074 Field Gauge?

The Forsters are .070 which has befuddled many collectors into thinking their rifles needed work or were unsafe when they were actually OK. You can use the gauge to know whereabouts the headspace is at, but you're going to need another gauge at 074 if seeking peace of mind.
There are plenty of threads on this board dealing with headspace. Search them out for a good debate on the topic.

The wartime emergency spec is much more generous and those rifles didn't blow up in use. However those rifles weren't using thinner commercial brass and reloading wasn't a factor. Read up a bit and make up your own mind.

I was blessed with a 4pc set years ago. To tell the truth, I really don't fret over headspace anymore and only bring out the gauges when selling a rifle to show the buyer where the headspace is at.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JB White, or any other Enfield experts, I first bought the Forster Field Gauge to check the No 5 Mk1 above and my No 4 Mk1 and was told that the Forster Gauge, which is set to SAAMI specs is no good for an Enfield, that I should be using a Field Gauge set up to head space at .074". So I bought an Okie Field Gauge and so far, both Enfields pass with the Okie Field Gauge, neither can close the bolt on it. I didn't even open the Forster Gauge because I was told that SAAMI specs are not correct for an Enfield.

I am returning the Forster Gauge and received this reply. FWIW, I bough 200 rounds of PRVI ammo that I will be shooting through them, then I will be reloading my own using the PRVI brass. At this point, I am a bit confused about which Field Gauge I should trust, the Forster set to SAAMI specs or the Okie? I need some guidance here, I am confused. All of my other milsurps, I bought the Forster Gauges (Mosin, Mauser, K31, etc.) and have had no headspace issues.

Reply from company I bought Forster Gauge from:

"Keep in mind that the Forster gauge is set to SAAMI specs which are the standard that importers and gunsmiths are recommended to use for any rifle sold / repaired in the US for liability reasons. SAAMI adjusted the Max allowable headspace for the .303 due to various things that have changed since the day when the original Military spec of .074 was used. These include the age of these rifles, which are getting up there, as well as the various ammunition on the market today that is not the same as the original Mil spec ammo used years ago. Original Mil Surplus ammo may now have brittle cases depending on age and storage while new manufactured ammo will have different powders and may use softer US made brass in the cases. An example is the Remington .303 cases which are softer brass but still considered ok, when fired in a chamber that meets current SAAMI specs. However there are several instances where Remington cases have had case head separations when fired in .303 chambers that exceeded current SAAMI but were still within the original Mil spec Headspace. Remember that the original Mil Spec headspace of .074 was based only on the Milspec ammo that was both new condition at the time and was made to work with that spec, compared to today's newly made ammo that may be designed for the tighter more conservative SAAMI spec if it was made in the USA. Ammo made in other countries to Milspec will more likely be ok with the longer original headspace."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts