Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,971 Posts
gun dealers typically use 2nd day air or "air saver" to ship handguns to C&Rs. however the shipping regulations all seem to say next day air is required. So shipping a handgun using 2nd day air is risky if it gets lost, or if they discover its a handgun. Run a google search on it, its been discussed a LOT.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Your FFL Dealer can mail a pistol through the US Post Office...... YOU CANNOT, Only an FFL can.
He can mail it much cheaper.

If you know a friendly Dealer who won't scalp you on the price, have him mail it.

If not, your only options are UPS and Fed-Ex and you have to play by their rules on method of shipping.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,287 Posts
Current postal regulations do not permit the mailing of a handgun to or from a C&R license holder.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Fedex is more than UPS for handguns because it doesn't have an overnight "saver" option that meets federal specs. I'm not sure about USPS registered mail and its use is limited to dealers and a few other groups.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Last handgun I shipped was through UPS and they said it had to go next day air, saver was not an option. It cost $90! No extra magazines, holster or anything. I think it was like 2.5lbs. $90... Last time I do that....

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
77,287 Posts
Fedex is more than UPS for handguns because it doesn't have an overnight "saver" option that meets federal specs. I'm not sure about USPS registered mail and its use is limited to dealers and a few other groups.
You can also ship handguns by priority mail.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Emphasis added.

Your use of the word is incorrect and not true - just look at form 1508.
From Form 1508:

The undersigned is a manufacturer of firearms or bona fide dealer therein, and the parcels presented for mailing
herewith are customary trade shipments or other articles for repair or replacement of parts. To the best of my
knowledge and belief, the addresses are manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Last handgun I shipped was through UPS and they said it had to go next day air, saver was not an option. It cost $90! No extra magazines, holster or anything. I think it was like 2.5lbs. $90... Last time I do that....
You got ripped off. Typical of UPS in that the counter clerks like to invent rules:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/re...h_pos=1&srch_phr=handgun+shipping&WT.svl=SRCH

Shipping Firearms or Ammunition

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
Fedex Express Saver is the cheaper option for handgun shipments. It's basically (by) 3rd day air service. Second least expensive option is Fedex Express 2-day PM. That's a two day air service with afternoon delivery.
FedEx Express U.S. Terms and Conditions (effective Jan. 6, 2014)

Firearms

C.Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

The Saver or PM option isn't allowed for handguns.

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
FedEx Express U.S. Terms and Conditions (effective Jan. 6, 2014)

Firearms

C.Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Express Drop Box.

The Saver or PM option isn't allowed for handguns.
weird. I had no problem shipping firearms via Ground for longguns or Express saver for handguns and did so from Fedex hubs too.

Not sure if anybody proof-read that policy update since it's saying all firearms must go Overnight.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
weird. I had no problem shipping firearms via Ground for longguns or Express saver for handguns and did so from Fedex hubs too.
You could ship heroin or plutonium, too. As long as they don't check its OK. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't risk it and stay within the limits, using Fedex Ground for long guns and UPS "saver" overnight for handguns as the cheapest shipping options..

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am considering selling a number of my handguns and long guns because I may be moving, and my local gun shop will charge me $50 for each one shipped...which is not good for me. I am not an FFL or C&R holder, and my handguns are mainly things that interested me, not hugely valuable...Some very old Smiths, old .25 and .32 pistols, a few Brownings and Rugers...Is there any way for a regular, non licensed human to do this...what I am seeing here is "no"...

Thanks.

FWIW, I buy my plutonium from a street corner dealer who swears it's great shit!

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
I am considering selling a number of my handguns and long guns because I may be moving, and my local gun shop will charge me $50 for each one shipped...which is not good for me. I am not an FFL or C&R holder,
In most states all they care about is if the person receiving it is licensed if it goes across state lines. So anyone can ship.

·
Registered
19,305 Posts
So...
I spoke to my local post master
they changed the postal regs, well, more correctly the interpretation, a 03 can use the post office now
interesting, they added an antiques exemption to the C&R language...
BUT and this is the KICKER

if you read it kinda sideways, a C&R can receive?
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm
12.1.2Handguns
[Revise 12.1.2 as follows:]

Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 12.1.3 and 12.1.5 after the filing of an affi­davit or statement required by 12.1.4 and 12.1.6, and are subject to the following:

a. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b, and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 12.1.1g.
b. Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 12.1.1b that are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be cu­rios or relics of museum interest may be accepted for mailing without regard to 12.1.3 through 12.1.6.

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signa­ture service under 503.8.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
d. Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers, or other parts or components reg­ulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
e. Mailers are also subject to applicable restrictions by governments of a state, territory, or district.
so which is it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.