Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want a really cheap .22 revolver to carry when i am out hunting the coyotes that are killing our housecats, I mean ,of course I can give it the coup de gras with my rifle but i would love to have a close quarters pistol like an RG to carry when walking around this piece of hill billy heaven. I am ten miles outside the city limits, on the side of a mountain. I used to have such "saturday night specials "but not anymore. gun shows used to have such things- not anymore

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
would I be in trouble if I converted my RG gas pistol to fire live rounds? seems to me i could drill out the cyl to .22. and replace the barrel with something .22 , the original barrel is just a tube pinned in place, of course it is blocked

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Wouldn't recommend converting . Have you checked

out any HERITAGE .22 revolvers ? Coon hunters round

here like 'em a lot . We got coyotes and coydogs here

too . I take a shotgun when I'm in the field .

FIVESHOT

shotgun apocalypse 009.jpg

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
ever considered a Taurus model 82 .38 special...

GALLERY IMAGES

Taurus md. 82 Revolvers .38spl

Email to a Friend
Availability: In stock.
$149.95

Product Description:

Looking for a revolver deal? SOG has it! We have just purchased a quantity of used Taurus model 82 revolvers. These were used by a foreign government. Comes with Taurus Factory wood grips. These are 100% serviceable, mechanically excellent revolvers with 4” heavy barrel, target trigger, in good to very good condition (with a little finish wear). These revolvers new retail for $445, Dealer $356. The market for quality used revolvers has been dry...Until now! Don’t wait! Order yours now!

Heres mine, bought from SOG. They make really good shooters for the money. I have a set of hogue grips on mine.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,671 Posts
One of the Heritage .22 SAs should fill your bill. The SOG Taurus 82s are a good deal on the price break - though you will have to factor in shippping and whatever a receiving dealer will charge.

Converting the gas gun to projectile would be a poor idea.

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
if it was me and a chance of messing with a coyote, i would want something with a little more pop than a .22 short.

That taurus can handle +P ammunition if you so desire.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
You can get the Heritage with dual cylinders for .22 LR and .22 Mag, its a good choice for such work, the .22 mag gives a bit more pop, it is what I use for coyotes in my rifle and scoped revolver here. It puts them down very nicely. I do have to honestly say though that I am carrying a backup revolver in a larger caliber, .357 magnum in case things happen to get up close and dangerous.

·
Registered
17,618 Posts
.22mag is a good round for that..

You can get the Heritage with dual cylinders for .22 LR and .22 Mag, its a good choice for such work, the .22 mag gives a bit more pop, it is what I use for coyotes in my rifle and scoped revolver here. It puts them down very nicely. I do have to honestly say though that I am carrying a backup revolver in a larger caliber, .357 magnum in case things happen to get up close and dangerous.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
I had a cheap revolver one time - cylinder wobbled, the barrel was shot out, and the hammer spring was weak. I lost nothing giving it to the sheriff to destroy as junk.

On the other hand, I have an inexpensive Heritage .22 with interchangeable cylinders and 6-1/4in. barrel. I read on another forum that this revolver with the magnum cylinder would shoot like a rifle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your advice , but my wife came to the rescue loaning me her Nagant 7 shot revolver that i paid 100 dollars for..oops ended that with a preposition

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have this really old 12 guage pump, It is reportedly a Mossberg model 200. It has no markings not even a serial number and it was browned not blued, i have not found any safety on it, Its box magazine is totally unreliable. so i just carry additional double O buck in my pocketses. i PUT A MAKESHIFT SLING ON IT.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know I said a cheap revolver, but since I said cheap it wonders me that no one mentioned the high point, they certainly seem inexpensive and rugged. I watched a video where they torture tested this ugly automatic pistol, It was impressive. I like the 9 milimeter.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,346 Posts
Just stay away from the Jennings, Bryco, Raven Jimanez, et. al. junk. The old High Standard and H&R revolvers are also good durable handguns and still very cheap.

High Points don't break often but aren't pleasant to shoot or reliable. They are nose heavy, clunky, the trigger is too heavy and the magazine quality poor, leading to feed jams, especially if the rounds aren't carefully lined up. See: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/benjamin-t-shotzberger/gun-review-hi-point-c9-9mm-pistol/

And I stay away from anything with ZAMAK (zinc-aluminum alloy) MIM parts, whether made by High Point or Walther (P22). Too much horrible experience with it on boat parts. It's cheap but neither durable or corrosion resistant.

·
Super Moderator
16,496 Posts
Aquist, you sound like you're not sure what you really want. The thread has gone from .22 revolvers to semi-auto 9mm in under 20 posts. My suggestion to you is:
First, examine what you need this handgun to do. Hunting backup, defense, plinking.
Second, determine how much you can spend.
Third, get to a good sized gun shop or a gun show so you can see and handle a lot of different guns that will meet your needs and your budget.
I can only add to the above that a used premium brand handgun is (in my opinion) a better choice than a brand new cheap and low quality branded handgun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the Heritage Rough Rider with both cylinders. Me and My 14 year old son have shot a couple of 500 round boxes of 22lr and about 50 rounds of 22mag through it.. been a fun little pistol. I also picked up a Hi Point C9 and after a few rounds it has operated flawlessly.. Had to jack the sight up as far as it will go.. I did oil the gun and it is what it is. I big cheap pistol but has been fun to shoot and I will take it with me when out and about at the Farm..

·
Silver Bullet member
15,554 Posts
good thing, "oiling the gun".

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts
For a .22 handgun it's hard to beat the old Ruger MKII. "Cheap" is a relative term depending on who you're talking to, but MKII's are readily available on the used market and won't break the bank.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts