Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a cheap way to melt my large bars of linotype lead down to fit my lee production pot. My wife said no way to the kitchen stove, sooo I started looking around for a sutable place out side. I spotted my propane BBQ grill that has a small cooking burner. I put my Lyman lead pot on the burner and in 10 min. I was able to melt 10 lbs. and pour it my lee mold. Problem solved.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
hmmm....interesting thought! Then you only need sacrifice a single cook pot, and you can probably find one of those at a yard sale or thrift store for a buck.

Thanks for the the idea!

·
PlatinumBullet Member
19,948 Posts
I've been looking for a cheap way to melt my large bars of linotype lead down to fit my lee production pot. My wife said no way to the kitchen stove, sooo I started looking around for a sutable place out side. I spotted my propane BBQ grill that has a small cooking burner. I put my Lyman lead pot on the burner and in 10 min. I was able to melt 10 lbs. and pour it my lee mold. Problem solved.
Good for you. Seems you have your problem solved. (hope you're using a ladle to pour into the mold)?
Wait until you steal (ahhh borrow) one of the wifes muffin pans to pour your ingots. Then you have to make a trip to WallyWorld to get her a new one. But, when your are there, you can pick up a few more for yourself also. LOL

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
Not cheap solution but here is what I did and over the long haul: its cheaper and more convenient for me. I borrowed a double burner fed by propane ( I was cheap and did not want to buy one) and it did not generate enough heat to melt wheel wts for ingot production. Of course, melting wheel wts in the Lyman furnace is slow and messy and not really wise as crap can clog up the pour spout and its so slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww. After a 3 hour session of this burner: I glanced at my 1200 pounds of wheel wts and said to myself: You are a bloody idiot...just spend 50 bucks and get a burner that will do the job and get on with that mountain of metal. Getting input from board members and searching, I found via internet the Home Depot site and ordered a mega BTU propane Turkey cooker for 50 bucks. Let me say 50 bucks ain't cheap but considering the mountain of metal to melt and time to do it and tons of money I save in bullets casted .......50 bucks was money well spent and I do not regret it. To get my moneys worth out of the cost of that burner I got to shoot more bullets and this is the price I will pay...shooting more for less. In summation: being nickle nosed about buying a burner was really dumb on my part. That is my honest opinion and since I take a great amount of interest in my own opinion : its cheaper to just get the right tools and get the job done. Especially if its a tool you intend to use repeatedly over your life time. My supplier of wheel wts sells them to me for 20 cents a pound. I just called to ask about buying 1000 pounds outright and he told me I can have them for 10 cents a pound but just come get them out of his shop: I think I just paid for that 50 dollar cooker already. However this does not change the fact I approached this like a dummy and tried to not spend 50 bucks. IMHO: I was brain dead initially but recovered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.