Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since tons of AK's and AR's are being sold these days to people who never intended to own one and are buying those because everyone is doing it, they will be selling them in some near future.
I'm speculating , how long will they hold on to these rifles , before all of the sudden the market gets flooded with used AK's and AR's , and how low will the price have to drop down in order to sell one of those ?
I'm not an AR man, but if ,in let's say a year or two, there are 100's or 1000's of AR's on GB, I might actually look into getting one of those fine rifles for let's say $300- $400.

· Registered
490 Posts
Type in ak-47 on gunbroker and look at the page that has the shortest time remaining. Notice how you'll see that very few of the AK's are selling, or for that matter even have bids. The credit card bills are coming due and the Obama frenzy is starting to wear off. I would imagine you'll see a slight spike in sales right before Obama takes office, and then prices will plunge as people see that the sky isn't falling. Obama has way to much on his plate to fark around with the 2nd amendment. He won't try anything (if he tries anything) until midterm.

My advice is to hold onto your money until late Feburary-March. I'm guessing that's when you will see prices come back to reason.

· Registered
1,924 Posts
Yes

Awsome observation;) I say shorter than the time people bought the Chicom SKS back in 89 "I think," I say 3-5 years b/c of the high price they paid for the AR's and AK's. It took about 10 years for the Norinco's to go back on the shelf in any really noticeable numbers IMHO...

· Gold Bullet member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't care about the prices to be "normal". I want them to be where housing prices are. People have no jobs, but they worry about buying an assault weapon they never intended to own. When the heat wears off and the fridge starts throwing echo back at ya, selling a $1k AR for $ 300 may be the only option to get food on the table.
I'm sure that there are many people like me : don't care to own an M16, but if the price is right, I'll get one. Today, I wouldn't pay $500 for one, because I rather get a nice bolt action rifle, but for $300 to $400 I might consider.
It is very interesting, how a man , who is after the assault weapons, has put so many of them in civilian hands ,even before he actually got in the comfy chair...

· Registered
490 Posts
Well I won't pay more the $350 for a WASR, maybe $400 for a folding stock version. Even now though it's in doubt with the outragous cost of 7.62x32 ammo. I suppose I would rather continuing to buy ammo for my Polish Tantal.

· Gold+ Bullet member
339 Posts
I'll be pretty surprised if you see ARs for $400. This would require a glut that we have not seen, or they get "banned" in a bunch of states. However, I do agree that there will be bargains to be had. At this point, a decent AR for $600 would be a bargain. AKs will pop up in the future for $350-400 by guys who shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

As with most things, there is much more talk than action, although there is a LOT of action.

· Registered
42 Posts
Most of the people I know buying the AKs & ARs are not poor, so I don't look for them to be selling at a loss. The days of 300.00 AKs & 500.00 ARs are over. If you are waiting for the prices to drop that much, you won't be buying.

· Copper Bullet member
10,117 Posts
This may be like the Harley syndrome. Many went out and bought Harleys who had never ridden. They rode them and either had a close call or got bored with them. They still expect to get their money back out of them along with all the additional chrome ect.. Really thought at first the bubble would burst, but so far it really hasn't. I expect the same with guns, at least to some extent.

· Registered
490 Posts
I've never seen AR prices around the $500, and AK's around $300, so I never was expecting prices to drop back down to those levels. Ammo and assault weapons go hand in hand. If you only have enough money for one of the two then you're SOL. When Obama was elected I'm betting there were a lot of people out there who bought up AK's but never thought about the cost of the ammo. I don't care how upper middle class you are, paying $700 for a AK and then shelling out $250 a pop for a tin of 7.62 ammo hurts the pocketbook.

How much is enough for the collector? I understand buying ammo, but who really needs more then 5 AK's? I mean you only have two hands when the zombies are pounding on your doors.

Currently I have a Mosin Nagant 91/59 and 91/30 plus around 1,200 rounds of ammo for them. On the assault weapon side I have a Polish Tantal, 10 magazines and 2,048 rounds of ammo. Sure I would like a folding stock AK, but I'll be damned if I'll pay the going rate for them now because I always have to figure in the cost of ammo. I'll spend my money on some good MARPAT camo, a tac vest, and another 3,000 rounds of ammo for the Tantal. I figure 5,000 total rounds is a good solid figure.

· Registered
339 Posts
The price will come down to what people are willing to pay!

I wish I had bought more of the Dunhams $300 WASR's last year...all I bought was an extra SKS. I put it out at the last gun show at a 250% markup - and it sold. Everyone complains about gouging and thievery...but if someone is forking over the green, then that's the new price.

The earlier comment about the economy is spot on - regardless of the legal situation or what is available, when folks need cash, they'll dump them. I had to dump a large chunk of my collection to pay for a wedding and a new house. I priced them to move and they did...

· Registered
159 Posts
I purchased a Colt AR15A2 for $550 and a Chinese Underfording AK for $320 back in the late 1980's. Of course, this was before marriage and children. I had plenty of cash back in my college days. Now I have barely enough cash to purchase a Mosin Nagant rifle.

· Gold Bullet member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got my first house for 135K. Ten years later the neighborhood houses were going for 500K. Today , even if I wanted to sell for the 135K , there are no buyers , so in order to get rid of it the price would have to go way down.
I think, unless we grow AR collectors, I don't really see many people willing to own more than one or two of those .

· Registered
33 Posts
I work from time to time at a very large shop that also deals wholesale across the country in everything. The initial panic buying that i witnessed from August on has slowed down some. Out of the 100 or so AR's and AK's I sold during this time i would say close to 60% of them went to people that will hardly or nver use them. They come in and know nothing about them other than they want one because the news said Obama was going to ban them. They buy one extra mag and two boxes of ammo and thats it. Most of these folks do not shop online for ammo or mags, nor would they know where to start looking for them.
Now while our retail sales have slowed, the wholesale side continues to move items out the door. We had two skids of Stag rifles come in two weeks ago and sold them all in one weeks time. We also had two skids of RRA come in and they are all gone, again in a weeks time.

I think we will see some sold off after Obama takes office and hopefully he does nothing!

· Registered
2,295 Posts
I think the hottest buy for an ak is the brand new russian saiga.

Back when the first sks's and ak's arrived here i believe the sks's were $59 at the time and the ak's were $159 if i remember correctly. I was never interested in them back them nor was I until i seen the brand new russian izhmash saiga being offered in both 223 & 308.

· Premium Member
704 Posts
Cheapest AR at the gunshow this weekend was $800.00. Stripped lowers were $250.00 and the guy only had 3 left. There were no parts kits there either. I called a couple places yesterday for a parts kit, they were all out. They had gone up $25.00 and said that it would be 6 to 8 weeks before they got anymore in. An AK parts kit was priced at $325.00 at one of the dealers.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.