Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my dream of owning a Chauchat is one step closer. The NFA Branch will have their 200 dollar tax check and forms tomorrow. I find this weapon intriguing. My studies on this are different than the constant statement of the worst weapon ever. From what I can tell from the pictures it is SA stamped. This Chauchat is a Sidarme made in 1918 is said to be all matching. I hope to have it before November.

Wish me luck, or as many feel, Don't.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Me too, I've always wanted a Chauchat. I passed one up here on the boards some years back and have kicked myself ever since. Also I think it is probably much like the Reising in the sense that it will work better for us as civillian shooters that it did in it's military role. Sure look forward to seeing some pics of the chauchat once it arrives. My reising ended up missing the auto connector spring and plunger. Replaced the spring but will have to fabricate a plunger from a proper sized drill bit. It now shoots great. Good luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Good Luck and Godspeed!!!!

Best of luck! I'll really want to see that Chauchat when you get it, the "SA" stamp adds a lot of interest for me.

When we were re-enacting WWI German troops at the Colorado WWI vent some years ago, (we brought up my 08 maxim on the sled in a Honda Accord with ammo and 3 guys and their stuff- we joked that it should have been the Honda ad for the balkans) we got to shoot the 2 french chauchats that were there after the battle. They had caused untold heck during the battle, by jamming or not working for their frustrated gunner. The maxim, of course, worked like clockwork. I could only get one Chauchat to shoot for 2 rounds at a time; for one of our guys, though, it worked great, it ran like a champ every time he picked it up, and only for him. It totally freaked out the French gunner. We decided it was an early "collaborator". :-D

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the pictures the owner sent, it appears to have a SA mark in side of a square close to the serial number. I figure when I have her in my hands, I will know for sure.
I hope the Finn's fined tuned this weapon, and it has been stored ever since. Ready to run like a well oiled machine LOL.

Tribrothers

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
It's the only automatic weap[on that fires faster in semi-auto than in full auto. (that's NOT a joke)
Years ago, I had the choice of buying that or a Lewis gun. I picked the Lewis.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I also have a matching SA stamped Chauchat. It runs great. I load my own using new Graf brass. I have found it works best if I don't load over 10 rounds in the mags. It takes a lot of effort for the 90 yr old springs to push the bottle shaped rounds in a semi circle. You'll definitely have feed problems if you load too many rounds relative to the remaining strength of the spring. Does anyone knows of a replacement/will fit spring for these "unique" mags?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hello Tribrothers,

May I ask what you are paying for the gun ???

The reason is that I have been approached by a friend that want's to sell his dewat and I would like to know what they are worth as I just may buy it for myself...

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Luck

Glad to hear you will be getting a chauchat. I hope yours is in better condition than mine.

I am looking for a barrel for my chauchat. Mine was a dewat that was rewatted. The barrel was welded and someone tried to remove the weld using a drill going in from the side and damaged the chamber. Because the chamber is gouged the brass sticks and does not extract. Is anyone aware of a person who could make a barrel or has a barrel for sale?

Thanks
Tom S

·
Registered
203 Posts
talk to Randy at Mtarmory. he made me a couple of barrels for a MP-34 in 7.62x25. very good work, good price, and a quick turnaround he also does awesome blueing. send him an e-mail at [email protected]

seeing that you need a new barrel now would be a great time to consider having one made in a different calibre. im sure 8mm Lebel is hard to find. 7.62X54R might be doable

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
I'm afraid that Big Mike passed away last year.

The [SA] does in deed denote Finnish issue. The French were kind enuogh to send the guns to Finland as "war aid" in 1939. The never saw front line use but were used in rear areas and airfield defense.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Black River Militaria can probably help you with a barrel. I think I remember Bob telling me about using 1915 Lebel barrels as a starting point.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The NFA Branch received the packet Friday, and the $200 tax check cleared my bank account last night. The past two took 3 or 4 weeks after the check cleared. I hope to have her soon.
Tribrothers

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Chau Chau for sale on auction arms now

Just spotted on AuctionArms.com...

WWI French Chau Chat -- M1915 CSRG in 8mm Lebel
Time Left till Auction Closes -- 5 Days, 8 Hours, 22 Minutes
Firearms : Class III - Rifle - Item# 8287805

Yours for only $8000. Nice photos though. No cost to look. Says it's original 8mm and not a rewat.

I have NO connection with the seller, simply thought you guys would appreciate the news.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Saw 2 at KCR. Charlie Erb had one with 6/8 mags in the original mag box. Can't remember what he wanted. Wouldn't sell the mags/ box seperately. Lamont had a nice one for $6500. Might have been refinished.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Technically your are not to post current auctions, but the Chauchat has been for sale for the last 18 months and has not sold in that time. It is a nice looking weapon, and has many extra magazines. This is based on my memory.
Mine also is made by Sidarme and is about 2000 later per the serial number showing. I personally would not pay that much cash. I would have not bought mine that is on transfer if I had to pay cash for it. I made a trade on 8mm Romanian ammo that has become quite scarce in quantity the past 6 months or so. Each to their own. If you wanted a nice Chauchat with extra mags, then this one would be ready to go to the range.
I do want some extra barrels, magazines and firing pins if anyone out there has any.
Tribrothers

1 - 20 of 142 Posts