Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This old rifle has been sitting in first my fathers garage when I was a kid and now my garage for 40 years. It is a carbine with a fixture for a bayonet. I am in the process of fixing it up to use for fun.

The serial number 94 is stamped on all the major parts including the walnut stock. It does not start with the usual N prefix and it is unusually low. Could you please give me some resources to learn the history of this weapon and to also buy a clip, bayonet, cleaning rod and ammo?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Jay

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
This old rifle has been sitting in first my fathers garage when I was a kid and now my garage for 40 years. It is a carbine with a fixture for a bayonet. I am in the process of fixing it up to use for fun.

The serial number 94 is stamped on all the major parts including the walnut stock. It does not start with the usual N prefix and it is unusually low. Could you please give me some resources to learn the history of this weapon and to also buy a clip, bayonet, cleaning rod and ammo?

Thanks for any help I can get.

Jay
Please post as many good quality photos as you can!!...and PLEASE don't make ANY alterations to your firearm...post your pics, get some feedback, learn about your Milsurp rifle, and keep it in it's original configuration...it might be a SERIOUSLY collectible firearm, so before you "fix it up to use for fun", please check in here first...whatever you are planning on doing might DROP the value of your Milsurp a TON!!...

...carbine with a fixture for a bayonet??...please post pics soon!!!...

WELCOME to GunBoards!!!...

·
Diamond Member
4,293 Posts
You might want to post your photos and description on the French firearms board below. Your Mle 1890 carbine is commonly valled a Berthier. They will have good answers for you there.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds like a nice French Berthier carbine. I would recommend asking here http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?11-French-Firearms-Board on the French Forum of Gunboards, the gentlemen that frequent on their are very knowledgeable as well. As for a bayonet, clip, and cleaning rod I would search on various gun parts sites like gunbroker or numrich gunparts. Ammo loaded by Privi Partisan can be found at various internet suppliers like Aim surplus, JGsales or maybe even a local gun store. If it is still in the original condition (not sporterized) then the caliber should be in 8x50r Lebel

This other thread has tons of basic and historical information about the various types of Berthier rifles and carbines and their accessories. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?86602-*-Berthier-Carbine-and-Rifle-Information-*

Like the others have said please post pictures and it can help everyone give you more information as to what you have. Hope this helps

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
...updated my post above, got so excited when I saw Chatellerault...I assumed it was a Mosin!!...haha... :p...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.