Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,670 Posts
I can't say about the scabbard, but the bayonet looks legit.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,590 Posts
So, after all I have heard about the Russians never issuing bayonet scabbards, does this mean that the Chatellerault rifles were delivered to the Russians with bayonets and scabbards?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So, after all I have heard about the Russians never issuing bayonet scabbards, does this mean that the Chatellerault rifles were delivered to the Russians with bayonets and scabbards?
There is information that first 200 Chats bayonets were issued with scabbards, but this kind of scabbard with german captured bayonet was many times sold on actions in the past. So... or Chatellerault issued much more than 200 scabbards or this is a german one. Kulinsky mention german captured mosin bayos with scabbards, but germans scabbards looks different in his book.

I am not familiar with all details. If somebody has more info or experience with Chatellerault bayonets and scabbards, please help.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
Well the bayonet is definitely a Chatellerault, and not only that, it's absolutely beautiful, and definitely was worth the purchase price. As for the scabbard... it doesn't look Russian to me, it looks Finnish, but I'd need more overall pics of it to tell exactly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the bayonet is definitely a Chatellerault, and not only that, it's absolutely beautiful, and definitely was worth the purchase price. As for the scabbard... it doesn't look Russian to me, it looks Finnish, but I'd need more overall pics of it to tell exactly.
I am attaching more pics. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an 1894 Chatellerault at home that had a bayo with it. What markings would identify it as a Chatellerault?
"C" in the circle and taper at the rear of the shank. I am not sure what it is exactly mean "taper at the rear of the shank", but found this defenition on the forum.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,063 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and say Finnish on that scabbard. It has the same frog attachment style as all of the metal Finnish ones I've seen before, and having never seen a real Chatellerault M91 scabbard, I can only say with about 85% certainty that that's Finnish, and that only because it looks very similar in construction to the Finnish models I've seen (not identical, mind you, but very very similar. And keep in mind that there were at least 5 separate models of 91 scabbard from the Finns, so it's a high likelihood that that's the explanation. That said, it's not at all impossible that it's a Chatty scabbard, but since the proof marks have corroded away, I'm not going to take the leap of saying it's original).

·
Registered
148 Posts
re" Chat. Bayo and Scab.

YES !!!, youre scabbard IS a Chatellerault. I have two of these, I also have heard that ONLY 200
were made in 1892 on a "Trials" basis, Thanks

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,117 Posts
Se12,

Congrats on a fine set. Looks like a nice soak in Break Free would be in order and a wipe down with a soft rag, nothin' else, great catch.

LB

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Found some info online. According to it, the scabbard could be a German (item c) - my scabbard is 440 mm also.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm gonna go ahead and say Finnish on that scabbard. It has the same frog attachment style as all of the metal Finnish ones I've seen before, and having never seen a real Chatellerault M91 scabbard, I can only say with about 85% certainty that that's Finnish, and that only because it looks very similar in construction to the Finnish models I've seen (not identical, mind you, but very very similar. And keep in mind that there were at least 5 separate models of 91 scabbard from the Finns, so it's a high likelihood that that's the explanation. That said, it's not at all impossible that it's a Chatty scabbard, but since the proof marks have corroded away, I'm not going to take the leap of saying it's original).
Fatherandersonthepaladin,
Thank you for your help. According http://mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn-bayonets.asp, finns used "civil Guards bayonet in a reissued German metal scabbard. The Finns then painted these green which was common place in the Civil Guard". You are right this scabbard not identical, but very very similar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts