Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Small, hard to find, 125 tables, 17-hours round trip, but a suprisingly good time. 03 man had the good luck to have a table next to our five and we took home a good slug of his retirement funds. Despite that he invited us to his home-on-the-lake in Denver (NC) and his son cooked a proverbial "meal fit for a king." Being the nice fellow that he is (I know, my nose is growing) he even had Milwaukee's Best Light though I limited my self to two due to internal problems from a fast food diet earlier in the week.

After supper (dinner for Jareth and you other damnyankees) we journed to his gun safe(s) where I viewed his impressive display of Arisakas and fondled and drooled on his T-44 Love of Country. The only one I've ever seen other than the one Fred has pictured in MRoJ. We hit the sack somewhere around 10-10:30 PM EST and left the house for breakfast at 7. Afterwards we bid farwell and drove off into the sunrise and the curvey NC mountain roads. Hard to get use to a hair-pin curve where you see the back side of the van on the opposite side of the curve. It's great to get back to God's Country, even though it hasn't rained since Noah's flood.

We have Don thinking about the Phoenix show in Nov-Dec and you west coast guys, Amutt and others, pour on the heat. In another year or so the poor fellow will be too decrepit for such an adventure. (Actually, I think he's afraid to fly!)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,012 Posts
03 - I hope you can make it, but be warned - Doss & his turd pals brought some f**king Biblical kind of disease out here with them last time. I don't think I've ever been that sick before. And, of course you can expect nothing but warm hospitality from Oldie.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
Yes, in spite of the fact that there were only three customers at the show, and I was one of them, we did have a good time.

This was the first time in 2 years that the NC Gun Collectors Assn. had a show; our area is burned out or up by commercial promoters; one even took our venue of 30 years by offering a ridiculous contract for six shows and paying for all the parking, oh well, that is another story.

Doss forgot to mention his son has recently moved to Rockingham, NC and drove up Saturday to visit. You can see the family in the pictures below, thankfully Doss stayed in the background most of the day. Except when he was 'fleecing' me of my hard saved $$.

I got a nice Nagoya 99 sniper along with a decent T97 Kokura, and a really nice T26 holster from him.

All joking aside, he and Ruth are great guests and welcome back anytime.

He is correct, I had enough flying for my job, no plane trips since 2001! and I don't miss them.

Three picts are below of the Banzai tables, the White brood, and my modest table which paled to insignificance!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Charlotte Show/Ronin and 03 man

On the other hand, 03 man did not get all of the goodies. Thanks to Doss' ability to pick Don's pocket dry I was able to get a Type 2 Rifle Grenade Launcher (that is in the book by #) from Ronin! The new Type 99 books were flying out the door with autographs from the notorious authors/editors duly put in with crayon.

Of course, 03 man does have keys to my house so if a bus hits me I guess he wins the end game!

Sadly, the show did not have a lot of advertising for the public and so traffic both for sales and goods coming in the door was limited. But; it was better than the usual ammo/camo shows we have had around here lately.

And, finally, 03 man does not mention that Ruth was her usual shining self and how he attempted to hide from my wife and I today at breakfast to keep from buying.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,012 Posts
In that first photo, it almost looks like Doss has that guy talked into commiting seppeku!

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,510 Posts
Doss brought with him a really nice Type 30 carbine that I purchased at the show. After a minor cleaning and inspection, the carbine is better than I'd hoped for. Thanks Doss.

I wasn't able to get to the cook-out; Rachmaniov's 2nd Piano Concerto was being played by Olga Kern (amazing pianist) and the Charlotte Symphony, and that took priority. If you've never heard this piece , you need to, even if you don't like classical music; it IS the Russian Front in both world wars. Truly haunting.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
John was the second other customer. SGM Dave was the third.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,581 Posts
Looks like a good time and good stuff. Wish I could have made it. I stopped in Hickory with little time and little money and left there with no money and almost no time. I would have arrived at the show about 30 minutes before closing. Sure would have enjoyed seeing all you folks.

Don, did you break down and buy the Kokura 99 sniper? We want pics.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,573 Posts
Mike,
I have had a Kokura 99 for a couple years. I did add the Nag 99 sniper and the 97 Kokura; now I am really 'broke'.

Will do picts in a couple days; still cleaning up the kitchen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts