Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I apologize if this has been asked before, but a search hasn't uncovered anything.

I have a quantity of chargers for .303 British ammo, but all of them are very rough & harder to use than I remember.
(Both thumbs & a LOT of pressure won't release the rounds in some cases)

I think a part of the problem is the surface condition, from long storage. From memory the chargers we had in the service were some kind of blued steel, but these seem to be very roughly parked. There is also some surface corrosion?? (copper-colored deposits).
I have both British (came in bandoliers of 1950 RG) & some of the famously hard greek, which I found seperately.

Is there some trick to make these a little "slicker" internally?
A LOT of the extra friction is happening within the charger, not at the springs on the ends.
Thanks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
grab some emery paper which is a sandpaper for steel or wet and dry, about 2 different grades, 180 for starters then 360? for polishing and then use it in the following way. You need to smooth out the bit where the rim and base of the round sits in the clip. take it back to bare steel if need be, polish it up and try it. keep going till they smooth up. Also you need to load the clip the right way. 1 up, 1down, that is so the second and fourth rims are inside 1, 3 and 5. there is a pic of how to do this somewhere that someone will post.
they are stripper clips and are placed in the bridge to charge the magazine, just for the curious!;_0
cheers
NED

·
Copper Bullet member
178 Posts
Chargers,

My roommate and I had the same problem. We just ran a Dremel tool with a sander bit threw them. Then hit them by hand with fine sand paper.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gents.
Igot the _-_-_ loading sequence.
I've tried various things, like dremel wheels (both sanding & polishing) without a great deal of luck. As you say I need to get inside the channels for the rims.:p

Have you ever tried using something like a brass tumbler, but with sand, instead of the usual media?
(Kind of like a poor man's sandblaster)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You can clean it thoroughly with detergent or solvent and a toothbrush, then take a spent .303 case and run it back and forth a bunch of times in the clip. It knocks some of the parkerising off and deposits some brass on.

·
2,756 Posts
I made a set of "racing" chargers by driving a hardwood wedge (made for the job) into the charger from the flat to open it out slightly. Just tight enough so the cases don't rattle. Bend the end tabs in a bit to secure the rounds.

Originally they were meant to hold on no matter how they were treated. The brass was only used once, so it didn't matter if it got burred up during charging. Loosen one up and then polish the inside edge and try it.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Being "energy efficient", (read lazy):D I tried a few of the chargers in a Lyman tumbler, partly filled with some 5 lbs. of "Reptile sand" I got from the local pet store chain for $5.00. I went with the reptile sand as it's a quartz-based sand, not a Calcium Carbonate one.
It seems to be working very well with absolutely no effort on my part.
After 3 1/2 hours most of the surface roughness & corrosion is gone & the "blue" underneath seems unaffected.
Just thought I'd share.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.