Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so now since the gunboard gurus have answered my headspace-chamber questions I have to decide what to do with my old ammunition. Is there any demand for bandoleers w/chargers with Mk 7 ammo from the '50's or 38 round boxes of WRA ammo from the early '40's? I am more of a shooter than collector so I really don't want ammo that I can't shoot. I don't have much.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Use it!

Splitting of case necks in elderly Berdan cases isn't an issue to me.

From what I have found using '50s dated RG ammo the slight splitting does no harm, although I'd be wary of shoving 100s of rounds through.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Photos of the 1942 WRA .303

As promised, photos of the 32 Rd. packages of old .303 ammo. Head stamp WRA 1943 303

·
Administrator
9,392 Posts
Chargers in Bandoleers?

Those 32 round boxes have obviously been REPACKED with the Winchester ammo (which was factory supplied in "WhiteBox" 20 round flat boxes.
The 32 Round box is typical British "unclipped" packing ( as well as 48 rnd cartons).

Check the extra overstamp and blow it up so we can read what it says...it could be an Importer, Seller, or even Official Repack. If aso, that could change the value as a Collector's Box.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
32 Rd Box

the stamp on thetape around the box says "
H3282
CARTRIDGES
.303 INCH
Mk 7
/\
I.S.A.A.

The stamping shown in Dk Blue is a warning type stamp from the importer
Golden State Arms Pasadena, California

·
Administrator
9,392 Posts
Chargers and Bandoleers.

Definitely a repack.
The Green printed label is typical of British (and Empire) manufacture, this particular one of British make, for "Cordite mark VII"ammo. The actual factory indicator (same as headstamp) and date of "packing" of the lot would be rubber stamped over the Green Label ( as in "31-12-43 RG", usually in purple or black ink.
H3282 is the design number of the label, the ^ is the "Broad Arrow" and "ISAA" is "Inspectorate of Small Arms Ammunition", the British Organisation which does the QA on all SAA.

The repacking could have been done by GSA, or it could have been done by Interarms, who would have acquired the ammo from the British Government.

This ammo is of Surplus of the 1960s time period, when Britain divested itself of humungous quantites of Rifles and ammo to Interarms.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed on the top of one box, RG 24 6 53 A in black, rubber stamp. The ammo is marked WRA 1943. If I am understanding correctly, The ammo was made by Winchester repeating Arms in 1943, sent to England, repacked at Radway Green in 1953 and sent back to the states. distributed by Golden State Arms Corp. in Pasadena Ca. USA, Probably purchased by my old man in the '60's or '70's sat in storage 30 or 40 years and now I have it for plinking ammo. IIRC The WRA ammo was boxer primed and so reloadable?

·
Registered
6 Posts
On the subject of Winchester Repeating Arms produced ammunition:
Here is a US made ammuniton box that was packaged with W.R.A. Mk.VIIz Ball cartridges in cartons.
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts