Rolling in pain
Praying to someone
Free me again

Oh Ill be a good boy
Please make me well
I promise you anything
Get me out of this hell

Cold turkey has got me on the run

Courtesy of John Lennon...but I prefer the Cheap Trick version. My bro MB clued me in on that one. Never did take up the habit, myself, but I've known two people in my time who claimed that they got over smoking by substitution...i.e., they both chewed on pens & pencils. I've also heard about the lollipop trick, but I imagine that one's bad for yer teeth.

·
Moderator / Gold Bullet member
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charlie - www.chantix.com

Goo - that'd work too. I was making an option for all the life-impaired among us, breath challenged, heart-beat deprived, whichever. Seemed more clever when I was tired and constructed the poll than it does right now.

SlimTim

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reason for the poll: I was on day 10 with Chantix (and still puffing, albeit less) when I came down with what turned out to be a nasty sinus infection. Knocked me on my carcass for 3-4 days, during which time I didn't take any Chantix. It's been twelve days since I took the drug, and . . . . . 12 days since I lit a smoke. I was too sick to puff for the first few days, and just decided to run with it once I got better.

I'm truly confused as to whether I should start back up with Chantix or just keep things the same while I'm doing good. Also, if I did start the Chantix back, it has a ramp up period, half a dose for 2-3 days, half a dose twice a day for 4 days, then the full dose the rest of the time, however long that is. Seems simpler just to forget the drugs.

SlimTim

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
My program to stop smoking:

Puff, puff..... HACK COUGH GAG HACK HOOOOT, KAWCK, GAAACK, HACK..........

Repeat a dozen times between the ages of 18 and 21 and you'll decide you were not meant to smoke, ever. Not tobacco, not pot, not anything that doesn't involve wood chips and barbecue sauce.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,160 Posts
Seems simpler just to forget the drugs.

SlimTim

Cheaper also!

My dad died at 46 from lung cancer, that was in 1969 when they didn't have much treatment but open him up and find the cancer had spread to much to remove it all and then radiation. He had began in the Marines during WWII. I decided I didn't need to smoke after that.

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today is 30 days. I think I've got it licked. I hope I do!

Also, today is day 2 of Tennessee's new nanny law prohibiting smoking in public buildings (restaurants, etc.) Almost makes me want to light up in defiance. Almost.

SlimTim

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
You should time the physical urges to smoke... they get farther and farther apart as the days go on and stay away from activities that you smoked at. Eventually you will notice that there will be a day very soon, that you will have no cravings! I quit cold turkey after smoking for many years. I wish I never started, it has taken it's toll.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I looked at what it was costing me to smoke. A new gun every 3 months. Haven't bought a cigarette since. That was July 31. Smoked a few of the old mans while we were drinking. The urge is still there, I could fall off the wagon in a heartbeat. But I need a good semi auto center fire rifle.:D

·
Registered
7,560 Posts
:D
Get good and drunk on the hard stuff…….so much so that you pass out.
Voila …….you’re not smoking. Then when you wake up………… repeat as needed
:D

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Today is 30 days. I think I've got it licked. I hope I do!

Also, today is day 2 of Tennessee's new nanny law prohibiting smoking in public buildings (restaurants, etc.) Almost makes me want to light up in defiance. Almost. SlimTim
I quit for a long time.

Decided one day (during a work meeting in "conference room O") that...

"I can have just one."

Then another day, another.

Or 2.

Then I started feeling bad about bumming, so I bought the guy a pack.

Then I figured I'd buy one for me -- just for the occasional you understand.

Then I'm back to 1-2 packs per day, and I don't smoke at home or in front of my kids, which means I am chaining them driving and the odd smoke-break.

Here's my point:

If you quit, then QUIT.

You CANNOT be a "casual" smoker -- I guaran-damn-tee it.

ME, I am about to try the "Chantix". Stuff I read says it basically fills the nicotine receptors so you don't get cravings. The psych stuff is then up to me...

$0.02...

DD

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,287 Posts
Anyone can tell you that smoking is bad for you: your friends, your family, the mailman, clergy, doctors, seductresses, or anyone whose opinion you value.

But, simply put, until YOU convince yourself that quitting is what you really want to do, it'll never happen.

My mother was a "casual smoker" - only smoked a half pack a day & could stop anytime. She never had that smokers cough, or the gravelly old lady smoker voice, so she never seriously considered stopping. She went cold turkey, and no longer smokes today. Of course, it was the stroke that really hosed the quality of her life, and took care of the smoking part - they just won't let you smoke in rehab. She used to walk 2-3 miles a day, but after the stroke manages to make it down the end of the (short) driveway to check the mailbox. Her mind is sharp, but the mouth won't always cooperate. She's lost endurance, balance and strength, and spends much of her time watching the Food Channel. The stroke even affected her personality - and not for the better.

As for me, a younger cousin got tongue, jaw, throat and lip cancer. They had to train her to speak, eat & swallow all over again. All went well for a while, but when it recurred, there was no way to remove anything else & she finally died.

Her example stopped my smoking cold turkey about 15 years ago.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
My Father Never smoked a day in his life,Died of cancer anyway !
Same with my granny,mother great grandma ect.

I smoke ! It is the one thing I do that I truely enjoy.I Love it !

Pherhaps one day I will stop,Just not one soon.

As Far as using a Chemical to Stop a Chemical,,,I'm agin it. Matter of fact,I'm agin any man-made chemical the more I see...............I think I'll just take my chances with smoking,BUT KUDO's to all of you who have stopped !!!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,588 Posts
I think you're better staying off the drugs since you don't seem to need them but if you do start the drugs again, start from scratch with the ramp up doses. Think of the extra money you have now for things that really matter.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts

I smoke ! It is the one thing I do that I truely enjoy.I Love it ! ...
I don't. I actually hate it. Stinks, I could go on but we all know the negatives.

I call it "feeding my nicotine monster" because that's how it seems. it's something I have to do to avoid the nic-fits.

If the Chantix will prevent the nic-fits, I can quit. I know it.

I also know not to ever pick up another one, which means when I quit this time I am done.

Works for me, YMMV...

DD

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
EJF--I haven't gone back to the Chantix. I'm wondering if there's any street corner value to them. :rolleyes:

DD--Two things. First, about "just one", been there, done that, 3/30/01. Quit for 18 days before I decided to have "just one." I have no plans to take even a puff, and hope I don't get into a situation where I'm tempted and yield.

Second, your hating it is good. That was me, I've wanted to quit for a long time. Several things just came together:

• Tax went up in TN by 62 cents a pack, $6.20 a carton.
  • No smoking in public buildings effective 10/1/07.
  • A stay at Opryland Hotel for work--Opryland is non-smoking.
  • Got sinus infection, mentioned earlier.
  • Chantix prescription.

Sounds like your day to quit is coming. Don't push it, wait until you have a good start.

SlimTim

·
Super Moderator
16,588 Posts
I can't say about street value, but I've seen smokers jonesing pretty bad on airplanes. I bet you can make a few bucks the next time you fly, especially if it's a long flight.

·
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday was my one hundredth day with nary a puff. I didn't mark the day, was just reviewing my thread subscriptions, noticed this one, read it again and figured it out on the calendar. That I didn't know it had been 100 days I think is good.

I finally voted on the poll. I really didn't know how to vote, given that I was only on Chantix for 10 days, but my doctor said it no doubt helped, so I am the lone Chantix respondant at present.

DD--how's it coming? Ready yet?

SlimTim

1 - 20 of 38 Posts